Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Application (Importation) Info

Options
  • 20-04-2005 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Just need abit of help with pistol application.

last sat i tiped on up to Tannyoky guns and ammo in Newry and bought myself a Browning H.P in 9mm. I am now as happy as a pig as the saying goes :D:D:D

I just want to find out afew things from those of you who have already traveled down this long and lonesome road before me.

I hope this thread can also help other people who follow after me as i hope it will be a one stop shop for pistol import and licence info.

So here we go!

1. I have the number of the gun and have processed same with my local smiley faced gardi (check) member of a rifle/pistol club (check)

2. I have rang the DOJ ( Department of Justice) phone: 01 6028524 about importation and was told that the document could be downloaded from their site firearms Importation licence

Problem: there are two different forms! i was told by tannyoky to get an article 11 (EU) form but there is also the Firearms Act 1925 to 2000 form for the importation of a firearm by a resident of Ireland, on the download site.
    What form do the DOJ want me to send in?

3. I was also told i have to get an article 7 from my gardi. What is this and what is its function?

4. I was also informed that i have to get an EC firearms pass for the gun so that i can take the pistol home. True/False?

5. What is the cost of a pistol licence?

Can people who have went trough this application procedure please fill in the blanks for me and other people. I respect all helpfull coments, but i would like for people to give facts on the process, not hearsay as it all seems complicated enough without people adding what they have heared is the procedure.

I hope you all understand what i am trying to do for myself and others. And if people reply with the correct procedures to the above questions maybe it will help others in my situation.

Thanks all for the help, Chem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Hi,

I'm new here! Some great discussions going on.

As for your question regarding pistol. I got a glock 22 in 40S&W last December. Great gun although I'm selling it and trading up to a Kimber stainless TLE/RL II in 45ACP. Fab gun but heavy price of about 1700 yoyo !!
    Anyone interested in an almost new Glock 22?????

You will need the following to process your application:-

An article 11 application is what Tannyoky are looking for. The DTI (Dept. Of Trade & Industry in UK) will need this for export purposes.

You will also need an article 7. If memory serves me correct it's from EU Directive 91/477 (same directive where Article 11 comes from). Basically it's permission by the cops to allow you to aquire a category B firearm (pistol and the like) and ammo in another EU state. It strengthens your application to DOJ. Ask the Gardai to put 500 rounds on the article 7. Your licence should have on the second line "subject to conditions NONE below" written on it. This makes the 100 rounds limit written below void. Make sure DOJ don't try and con you into only granting an import for 100 rounds. Make it clear to them that there's no restriction on your pistol licence. Also the EU firearms pass will have 500 rounds on it anyway!! Also they usually only grant this for one month. I asked them to make mine last until Oct 2005 & they did.

The EU firearms pass is good to have. Not sure if it's necessary though. Also when you're going up you will need to get a visitors pass from PSNI. You can get this from their website.

pistol licence is 38 Euro (same as rifle)

The funny thing is though all you need legally is an Article 7 and permit from PSNI to visit and pick up your gun. The DTI however are insisting DOJ get involved. I've even a letter from DOJ stating that you only need an Article 7 to import a pistol but yet dealers in N.I. are requesting Article 11's to satisfy their own DTI.

Also under Irish law you can apply for Article 7 & pistol licence at same time. It may save you time.

I know of quite a few people as well as myself who got pistols from N.I.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Hope the above makes sense. I'm typing this pretty quickly so it might not read that well. I'm in a hurry. Out for a few pints !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Aid the Blade

what are the proceedures for keeping the gun?is it at the club or can it be kept in the home in a safe for example.where can i get an exact print out of all th necessary info starting from scratch about buying and getting a licence ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

How to get a licence for a firearm. Though that was written with ISSF rifle in mind, the procedure's the same.

sound lad.is it necessary to be a member of a club.we have a 200acre farm at home and would be able to shoot over at least another 100, so going to a range would be more trouble than its worth for me.
    also ive a ruger semi-auto 22 but the licence limit is 100 rounds,can i get this changed as its a real pain.what would be a good amount to reques without looking like im hoarding ammo for some kind of abbeylara.the super in my area wouldnt even give me a licence till i was 21,(he doesnt want young fellas goin round with guns!)i had the rifle paid for when i found this out,i was 17 at the time so the ould fella had to get it.the gun dealer told me to send a solicitors letter but this would only cause more hassle so i didnt bother and played along with the super.im not 23 so im thinkin he wouldnt want me havin a pistol either

No, it's not necessary to be a member of a club, though that's the best way to learn and progress, and if you've noone to instruct you, it's definitely the safest way to do things. The 200 acres should be more than enough to shoot on, at least for smallbore rifle (I'm not sure about fullbore, I don't shoot that myself - anyone else know?).

The licence limit can certainly be changed. That page I pointed to recommends that you get the limit upped to about 10,000 rounds, but as I said, it was written with ISSF rifle in mind - 10,000 rounds would be the amount normally bought (though often even more would be, in multiples of 5,000) when you batch-test ammunition for a particular rifle, a necessary thing in competitive ISSF shooting; and for air rifle, two sleeves of pellets (which would fit into a single shoebox) is 10,000 rounds, give or take one or two pellets). When pellets are sold in tins of 500 as the lowest size available, 100 rounds isn't a very sensible limit :D Obviously, 10,000 rounds of something like .308 ammunition would probably not be given out quite so easily on your licence! And equally obviously, if you get 10,000 rounds of smallbore ammo, you'd really want to get a lockbox to keep it in. Even if just to ensure that it was stored in proper environmental conditions to prevent it degrading.

There is apparently an upper limit to the number of rounds you can have before you need to get a firearms dealer's licence, but I don't know what it is. Civdef might be able to tell you.

If the super is worried about you having a pistol, and you don't want to spend years in the high court arguing that it's a blanket rule in violation of Dunne v. Donoghue (he's not legally allowed refuse everyone on the basis of a rule that's not in the Firearms Acts, in other words, but it'd take time and money to have the courts settle it), you might try the route of shooting ISSF air pistol first (which is nice and safe to most people's perceptions) and later try for the cartridge pistol (assuming you still want it - air pistol is a bit addictive. It may not make a loud bang, but hitting the centre of that target is a challange that lasts a lot longer than the appreciation for the noise :D ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Out of curiosity does anyone know how much Tannyoky are charging for a Glock 17?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Longslide45

Sparks wrote:
    No, it's not necessary to be a member of a club, though that's the best way to learn and progress, and if you've noone to instruct you, it's definitely the safest way to do things. The 200 acres should be more than enough to shoot on, at least for smallbore rifle (I'm not sure about fullbore, I don't shoot that myself - anyone else know?).

The application says permission of two land owners,and/or membership of a gun club[not specified a defination of a gun club].Obvisouly owning your own land should preclude the above.
    200 acres would be more than plenty.So long as you own them,and your fullbore can be shot safley on it.[IMO would mean the same as a 22lr],but they would proably throw up a "good reason"requirement.IE deer on the property or foxes in abundance,or you are a target shooter in a recognised club.
    I get the distinct impression on the "policy" that they will look more favourably on a pistol application if the lic holder is a member of a pistol club.As well as the same "policy" re large calibre stuff. That is the feedback I am getting on my applications.
    Again we are ruled by policy[AKA a Supers whim,and mood swing with shifting goal posts] rather than law.[You do XYZ,you must have ABC and you are then entitled to own a gun.]

Hopefully the policy part is just because the CJB's in play and it'll settle down afterwards Longslide.

i grew up shooting air pistols and i know how addictive it is but i just couldnt justify paying €38 a year for a pellet gun, never mind the whole proceedure involved when i could have a full bore pistol.when did the law change on this because i was always told that they were banned since 72.

It changed last July if my memory serves, Aid.
    (though strictly speaking, the law didn't change at all, a policy was rescinded and licencing was carried out again under the pre-existing laws).

• Advertisement
Advertisement