Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL in Aus/NZ

Options
  • 20-04-2005 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey,
    was thinking of doing a TEFL course & then using it out in Australia or New Zealand, i've heard from one sourse that there was loads of well paid jobs down there teaching english but I've heard from another that it's very hard to get this type of work there. Does anyone know of someone that has tried looking for a TEFL job in Aus/NZ or have done themselves? Any Info at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dublinsausage

Who are you going to teach English to, Furriner's or Abo's ? I understand TEFL stands for
    Teacher of English as a Foreign Language , everybody speaks the lingo down under .

The only place you can earn at that game is Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cheesey

A lot of Asians go to Australia to learn english, don't they? That's what I'm hoping anyway.
    Who wants to go Japan? It'd be no more different than walking down O'Connell st. with the amount of them that's around the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

If you think O'Connell St is like Japan due to the foreigners then it's no different walking around Leicster Sq in London or whatever the main areas in Sydney or any other street in the world. These are the people you are going to be teaching - there should be plenty of Asians (and others who don't have English as a first language) to teach English to in Australia and New Zealand.

As Dublinsausage points out the locals already speak the language - this has 2 negative impacts. Firstly you won't have them as students to teach English to and secondly you'll have to compete against them to get jobs teaching English. You will be competing against people who have qualifications and also several years of experience.

It's definitely an achievable goal for you but you'll have to get the qualification first, then maybe teach somewhere where it's easier to get a starting position like Eastern Europe, Asia or Southern America. With that experience you'd then be in a good position to compete in the job market - but hey, perhaps you'd get straight in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 terranz

Hi this is my first post here. I live in Aus/NZ :confused: Well actually NZ which is just over 2,600KM east of Aus, but anyway...

It has been big money here teaching english to asian students but it is also a volatile market. There have been loads of jobs but it's slacked off lately.

NZ has a good relationship with asian countries and a new free trade deal comming but with what is called ESOL here you could be taking a risk.

Advertisement