Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the postal service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Damn right. I wouldn't say thats one of their best songs, but its pretty damn good. Definately worth a listen imo. I got their albums, had to order it in cos it wasn't in stock when i went to get it. Worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

district sleeps alone tonight has to be my favourite song of theirs, sooo fúcking amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

If you're into the postal service be sure to check out DNTEL's Life Is Full of Possibilities - beautiful moody electronic music from the guy behind the clicks and buzzes of the postal service. It includes his first collaboration with Ben Gibbard - The Dream of Evan and Chan, which trumps anything on Give Up imo.

Some mp3s - http://www.epitonic.com/artists/dntel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

the singer sounds a bit like the thrills (or what i remember the thrills sounding like -its been a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Death Cab For Cutie tbh.

Also Iron And Wine did the original version of "Such Great Heights", worth a listen. And The Shins do a cover of "We Become Sillouettes".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Death Cab For Cutie have the same lead singer ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

tibor wrote:
    - The Dream of Evan and Chan, which trumps anything on Give Up imo.

no it doesn't it's a good song but not anywhere near a string og songs on give.

yea i must agree the lead singer sounds rrrrreeeeeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyy like death cab....right on

Also Iron And Wine did the original version of "Such Great Heights"

Nope. This was a cover done for the Garden State Soundtrack.

lordgoat wrote:
    tibor wrote:
    - The Dream of Evan and Chan, which trumps anything on Give Up imo.

No it doesn't - it's a good song but not anywhere near as strong as the songs on give up.
    (typOs guessed.)

It's not as immediate/hooky and the melodies aren't as poppy but it's got a longer lifespan, a real grower imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Death Cab For Cutie have the same lead singer ;)
    Really? I never knew that, of course, that'd explain why i thought their lead singers both sounded similar-ish. As it happens, i like both of em. Damn good if ya ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

the guy's name is Ben Gibberd and as well as being the lead singer of both the postal sevice AND death cab for cutie he's also in another band called All time quater back. not sure if their still going. but they did in fact exist

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

tibor wrote:
    (typOs guessed.)

It's not as immediate/hooky and the melodies aren't as poppy but it's got a longer lifespan, a real grower imo.

typos correct : i agree that it's not as poppy, but when i compare it this pace is a prison or sleeping in, or clarke gable even, i just think it's there...

not sure if it was posted but Such Great Heights is not an Iron and Wine song, that was a cover for a good film with natalir portman in it, who is a fox

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

tibor wrote:
    his first collaboration with Ben Gibbard - The Dream of Evan and Chan, which trumps anything on Give Up imo.

Indeed. Beautiful song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I use "Give Up" to help me fall asleep every night.

I mean that in a good way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

yeah, such great heights is an amazing song to fall asleep drunk too

• Aye, they're v good, and the reason they're called that is because DCFC's singer writes songs with the other guy by mail! How innovative!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I did my radio promo on the Postal Service... :D

Like a indie-tronic supergroup with the best parts of Death Cab, Dntel, Rilo Kiley and the better taddle-tailer ... It has to be good!!! :D

The Dream of Evan and Chan is really great, as is Kimmy Tambarello's older stuff if you like the beats in "Give up". The only quarm I have is that I'm a Death Cab fan and Gibbard is using up some really great lyrical work that could go towards Death Cab, but as long as he produces still for Death Cab tis cool.

Also Iron and Wine's cover of such great heights is almost better than the original, only because I think the beat is a lil too fast in the Postal Service track... feel's like it's racing too much through a really great song, and Gibbard is almost rapping... maybe it's just my turntable spinning too fast... I dunno....

Advertisement