Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computers in schuman building grrr!!!

Options
  • 20-04-2005 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

never have i come across such an inept bunch of planks masquerading as personal computers in my life time, aah!!!! what is it, is this just a dumping ground for all the moody pcs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Back in my day, they were the most advanced PCs in the whole university. They obviously never got replaced. Oh how we marvelled at how much faster they were than the crappy ones in the Fishtank. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

OH my - the lib or the specified rooms for Departments are the best computers. Im usually found in AMO the Mech Eng one and they are fast and theres a technician there all day so its handy. In saying that got a call the other day from a friend in the lib - couldnt get gear off the comp and the technician hadnt a notion what to do? Sorted it in 2mins and they were how did you do that. Not the greatest in a crisis :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sigmund

hello
    you sound like somebody who has been in ul a long time. i just want to ask you is there a department of psycholgy opening out in ul . i have heard this from a few people. are they full time courses do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was there when the 286s in S204 were replaced with shiny new 486s.... those were the days! :D

man that was a long time ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

im in computer systems. the PC's in this building are class. not only that, each fourth year has their own pc with admin rights and free printing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

never have i come across such an inept bunch of planks masquerading as personal computers in my life time, aah!!!! what is it, is this just a dumping ground for all the moody pcs?
    Certainly used to be. S119 was filled with sexy Digital 386 machines back in 1995. Even the old Wang 486 lab (that's AM-whatsit these days) had the crappy machines replaced by P60s by then. The upstairs computer room in the Schuman was a lounge back then and very nice it was too (useless certainly but also nice)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

pfffft

I remember when we had to cut punch cards with our teeth. They only had one machine in C- block, and you'd have to make sure your punch cards were bug free before you were allotted your 15 minutes of time. A 286 would have been a miracle!

And we were happy with what we had!

I tell you, you young uns with your 'GUI' this and 'George W' that*

/me mutters

*Portions of this post may not be entirely factual in their nature...only portions mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I like CSIS :)

Aye the CSIS, plenty of good PC's on the top floor.

But only special computer people can use the CSIS! I'm special!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sigmund

anybody care to help me. at all.i thought ul students were kind and caring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 semisleeping

I don't know who told ya that Sigmund but it's a big frickin lie, we're mean feckers.

I'm nice and caring.

Havnt heard anything about psycology in UL. I know theres a course in UCC cos my sister done it. Check with the CAO maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Peteee wrote:
    I'm nice and caring.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Sorry about that....

Anyway, CSIS has good computers but where are the rewriters? The working printers? etc., etc.....

Also, 5MB mailbox???? What a load of b****x!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Memory
    All alone in the moonlight
    I can smile happy your days ( I can dream of the old days)
    Life was beautiful then
    I remember the time I knew what happiness was
    Let the memory live again *

ahhh auld ul sniff!

The intel lab on d2 for us comp engs had decent pcs. but it was shared between 3rd and 4th years so getting a pc could be tough. Intel still sponsoring that lab?

if i remember correctly it was inlel 22 that was full of p0rn.. think i still have some of that collection on cd somewhere :rolleyes:

*oh dear god i just quoted a Barbara Streisand song. egads!:eek:

Advertisement