Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way to remove wallpaper

Options
  • 20-04-2005 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

any tricks of the trade?

2 double rooms need sorting, would i be best off getting a steamer?

how much are they to rent?

wallpaper sucks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

paperclip wrote:
    any tricks of the trade?

2 double rooms need sorting, would i be best off getting a steamer?

how much are they to rent?

wallpaper sucks

Buy a good steamer. I bought a Bosch one (one of the best home DIY ones) for about 40-50 quid in Atlantic or Homebase ages ago. Once you steam the paper, it comes off easy, depending on the type of paper underneath.

You can buy the cheaper ones for about 20 quid, so I wouldn't bother renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

coolaboola

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

If you don't wanna get a steamer you can use warm soapy water and a sponge and the paper will come off easily too. just wet an area with the soapy water and leave it a few mins to soak in and it'll just peel right off with a scraper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Depending on what sort of paper your stripping.You will be Pi$$ing in wind if its a Vinyl front on paper if soaking it before stripping front off.If its Vinyl just strip the front off first as it is normally easy,get a corner of it from bottom and pull and it should come off in big lengths.

The backing paper is normally left,then you soak it and then its easier.But if its a fairly new house with a slab finish,which wasnt properly sealed prior to papering god help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Careful! Those steamers can lift the plaster very easily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saibhne

I'm stripping two rooms at the moment and a steamer is essential (for sanity at least) - got the vinyl coated paper problem as well so I have to make lots of little tears (with the edge of the metal paper stripper tool I'm using) in the paper so the moisture can get at the paste behind.
    fairly tedious work but the steamer helps a lot. Also, as mentioned above, watch out for taking the plaster off with the paper as well!
    S.

i've heard, pollyfilla at the ready!
    Reyman wrote:
    Careful! Those steamers can lift the plaster very easily!

paperclip wrote:
    i've heard, pollyfilla at the ready!

Still be careful, steamer can crack the plaster pretty badly and literally chucks could end up falling off. Filling with pollyfill wth not leave a smooth finish. Go easy .. trust me ;-) been there

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

to be honest m8, this is one job I would get someone in to do, for the extra few quid you'd be saving yourself a world of pain.

Best of luck with it
    Dave_W

Xennon wrote:
    to be honest m8, this is one job I would get someone in to do, for the extra few quid you'd be saving yourself a world of pain.

Best of luck with it
    Dave_W

I agree, I did my sitting room and it took me over a week to get all the wallpaper off. If you can afford it at all ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement