Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Connection - What KWA

Options
  • 19-04-2005 11:30pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Am sending in my new connection form to the ESB.

Now there is 2 options for the standard 12kva - (3.5 kilowatts continuous load, 9 kw switched load, max 2 showers)
    then there is 16kva - (5 kw continuous load, 12kw swithced load, max 4 showers)

Now 12kva cost 1300 euro and the 16kva cost 1800 euro so if I do not need to spend it then I will not!
    I have yet to confirm which electrician I will be using so would like ur opions.

We will not have any electic showers, will have a 11.5kw heatpump, then your fridge, tv, washing machine etc, no electric hob.

Now I cannot figure out should I need the 12kva or the 16kva

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hey yop,

If it's any help I recently got my "Welcome to the Electricty Distribution System" letter from ESB Networks for my new house (haven't actually moved in yet - waiting for keys)

Ours is a 4 bed semi, with 1 electric shower, fridge, washing machine, dryer, electric single oven, dishwasher, gas hob (although electric option was available), gas heating and they've put us on a 12 KVA supply. AFAIK it was the builder who ticked the box on the form so I can only assume that his sparky had some kind of input into the choice.

Hope this helps

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks lad.

I rang ESB and they could not advise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

All you should require is a 12KVA supply. I'm an Electrician and wired my new house recently and have 2 KW showers and 40 sockets , 20 Lights, Shed, Immersion etc and 12KVA is sufficient.
    PaJoe

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PaJoe - I would suspect that for a "standard" house but with a 11.5KW heatpump on the ring what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But, an 11.5kW heat pump doesn't actually consume 11.5kW of electricity, though, does it? With my limited knowledge of these things, I think you're looking at an electrical power consumption of 2-3kW for heat pumps of this capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

It would depend on the usage of the heatpump. I suspect it comes on intermittently and mainly at night. If it was running continously during times when you are using everything else in the house then there might be a need to go to a higher KVA supply and your electricity bill would be enormous.

But since there will be no Electric Shower and most appliances use small amounts of power ( e.g. TVs are around 100w, immersion 2-3kw, then I would think there should be no need for higher KVA.)
    PaJoe

PaJoe- gentleman,

That makes sense alright, thanks for your help!

Slán

PaJoe - I put in the app for the new domestic connection, ticked the 12kva standard box, added that we had a HP, no electric showers and standard appliances, no electric hob though.
    I got a call from the ESB on Wed last, asking me the KW input required by the HP and I asked a few different HP suppliers and it came in at about 3.5 - 4 KW so I told her 3.7kw at most.

Got the quote yesterday and they have me quoted for a 16kva (1800 euro) connection, personally I think they have this wrong, what you think?

Advertisement