Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrington for monkeys

Options
  • 19-04-2005 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

Hodges Figgis now has in stock 6 copies of Harrington on holdem. There will be more copies in next week.
    Lots of copies of super system 2.
    6 copies of a new book called 'poker aces' which has been put together by Ron Rose and is more a pressie kind of book.You can get details on it on Amazon.

A few books by Sklansky and a few other weird titles.
    A couple of copies of 'killer poker' which is a kind of workbook title.
    If you're buying a copy for Devore be sure to let me know and I'll add on an extra 1700%.
    Cheers D.

Ring 6774754 and ask to speak to Mark on the first floor, to ensure a copy is put aside for u.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've heard mixed reports on Sklansky for Tournaments (or Advanced Tournament Play or something). Anyone read it? Review it?

I was gonna buy it for Des, but perhaps "My Big Book Of Holdem" by Penguin might be better....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

DeVore wrote:
    I've heard mixed reports on Sklansky for Tournaments (or Advanced Tournament Play or something). Anyone read it? Review it?

I was gonna buy it for Des, but perhaps "My Big Book Of Holdem" by Penguin might be better....

DeV.

Its an excellent book, and covers ground that is done no where else, but is also the most widely misinterpreted book since the bible (hint, this one didnt have a sequel).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

HJ, I've read many times in your posts that in your opinion Sklansky's tournament poker is the most misunderstood book in the poker canon, but i've never read your explanation of why. I'd be interested to hear if you posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Marq wrote:
    HJ, I've read many times in your posts that in your opinion Sklansky's tournament poker is the most misunderstood book in the poker canon, but i've never read your explanation of why. I'd be interested to hear if you posted it.

A trivial but revealing example is whenever the old chestnut of folding AA preflop at the 1st of hand the WSOP comes up; somebody invariably quotes from TPFAP to back up their argument. The funniest quote is that the chip leader on day 1 never goes on to win the event. This would imply that you should go out of your way to not win too many chips on the first day. This is madness of course, what Sklansky meant was that historically the chip leader on day 1 was playing like a maniac and that that type of player tends to bomb out before the end. He wasnt implying that you should ever fold AA preflop.

One of the common themes in the book is that a good player should pass marginal + EV situations in tournaments, and that is true no doubt to a certain extent. However I often read about some truly horrible folds with they justify with what they feel they have learnt from TPFAP, mainly because they vastly overestimate their skill level relative to their opponents and how much of an edge any player has in tournaments with non-deep stacks. I doubt any world class player would ever knowingly fold a 60 40 edge in the tournament structures that are used for sub $1000 events.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Actually a player in the Deauville EPT event correctly folded Aces preflop, He had a side bet for 50,000 that he could outlast half the field, with a healthy stack and 2 more to go to winning the sidebet theres 2 allins into him one covering his stack, Second in the tournament paid 40k so he folded Aces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

It's a while since I read it, but from what I remember it does a great job of covering topics not mentioned anywhere else. For example, all-in situations and final table deals are explained really well. All the content in general is very useful, plus it's probably the most reader-friendly of all Sklanskys books.

Regarding the marginal edge thing, Sklansky does state clearly early on that the book is aimed at the most skillful players in a tournament (I doubt Joe O'Neill has a copy, I've never seen him pass up a marginal edge in his life!). It's interesting as well that Sklansky covers everything from an EV viewpoint, and never mentions his "Theorem of Poker" at all.

All in all, a must-read if you're a regular tournament player, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Sounds very interesting, will have to look into this. Would be particularly interested on his views on all-in situations, which I sometime have trouble getting my head around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

Sorry tom, I've been away from my laptop for the last 24 hours.
    Ok, I've ordered your copy of 'my first book of fun cards games' with the special colouring in section. I'll get you the crayons as a pressie from me to u coz ur so special.

go gettem tiger, ur uncle dessie

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

W00t!! \0/

Does it have a section on Speechplay? :p

DeV.

Advertisement