Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American shows on TNaG

Options
  • 18-04-2005 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why it is that TnaG get show such as the OC,Nip-tuck,cold case etc before sky and E4 and why these shows(in english )are not on RTE1/2.I didnt know until 2nite that last weeks Nip-tuck was the last in the series.They probably mentioned it in Irish in the end credits but I find it really annoying and bemusing how these quality shows are discarded.People would be complaining if RTE put poor Scfi shows on a channel which should be full of quality Irish speaking programmes.Most of the people presenting shows in Irish are far better than the sub-standard wanabees on RTE anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

They're very cheap for TG4 to buy. RTE probably can't compete with the low low prices TG4 are paying. And they're probably not pushed as TV3 can't get them either then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTE probably can't compete with the low low prices TG4 are paying. And they're probably not pushed as TV3 can't get them either then.

TG4 spend 3.5mill on imports. Rather then spend it on loads of even cheaper shows they buy a few of the top shows.
    Does anyone know why it is that TnaG get show such as the OC,Nip-tuck,cold case etc before sky and E4 and why these shows(in english )are not on RTE1/2.

TG4 are a seprate service to RTE.
    They probably mentioned it in Irish in the end credits but I find it really annoying and bemusing how these quality shows are discarded.

As I have said before if these shows where on RTE you can be gaurenteed that they would be on at 2 in the morning e.g. West Wing and Six Feet Under.

People would be complaining if RTE put poor Scfi shows on a channel which should be full of quality Irish speaking programmes

I was actually surprised that TG4 don't show SCI-FI.

Also TG4 is just as much a TV channel as RTE 1, 2 and TV3 all of whom show plenty of American and British Imports, and it is rear that we ever complain that there is little quality Irish English speaking shows on them.

Perhaps you should read the Newspaper to find out if a show has had its last episode or make the connect when the word carrnavale was mentioned at the end of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

"an clár deireanach sa tsraith" = "last programme in the series"

I think it's just that TG4 are more willing to take risks with the shows they buy and so, they get good shows before they become famous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 00Nothing

Any channel that broadcasts Carnivale, Nip/Tuck, Without a Trace, Cold Case and The Wire and also treats them with respect is a great channel and that's what TG4 is. RTE have great shows too (24, CSI, Law and Order:CI and The West Wing). The problem is they treat them poorly. Just look at CSI, when the hell is it ever on and what season are they at and they're only now getting round to showing 24. Nip/Tuck is still being broadcast on Sky One and FX 289 aren't starting Carnivale Season Two until September. TG4 is simply the best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd bet if they did show Sci-Fi the they be a tad more consistant in the scheduling than C4 were with B5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

00Nothing wrote:
    Any channel that broadcasts Carnivale, Nip/Tuck, Without a Trace, Cold Case and The Wire and also treats them with respect is a great channel and that's what TG4 is. RTE have great shows too (24, CSI, Law and Order:CI and The West Wing). The problem is they treat them poorly. Just look at CSI, when the hell is it ever on and what season are they at and they're only now getting round to showing 24. Nip/Tuck is still being broadcast on Sky One and FX 289 aren't starting Carnivale Season Two until September. TG4 is simply the best.

couldnt agree more...its just the best channel! i even find myself watching irish shows in between amreican shows,like hecter is cool!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

TG4 get all the top American shows because they have a smaller viewership than the other Irish channels so therefore they don't have to pay as much money to get the shows as other Irish channels would have to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i only wish they do widescreen soon

has anyone been watching Carnivale on TG4? Brilliant show,one of the best things on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Elmo wrote:
    TG4 spend 3.5mill on imports. Rather then spend it on loads of even cheaper shows they buy a few of the top shows.
    Like Judging Amy? Despite its ten Emmy nominations over the years and Amy Brenneman being as cute as a button I rather doubt anyone would put it in the same league as any of the quality stuff TG4 show. Obviously TV3 are showing some better stuff (none of which I watch to be honest) but I don't think it takes from my point that someone in RTE is always glad that what TG4 gets, TV3 can't get, though you wouldn't think it from the way they treat the likes of Six Feet Under and CSI. TV3 do spend a wad of cash on US network first-run programming but while TG4 were taking sales pitches from HBO and Showtime with a limited purse to spend, TV3 spent a few minutes spending their budget and then went touting around the based on a true story movies department.

• Advertisement

TG4 get all the top American shows because they have a smaller viewership than the other Irish channels so therefore they don't have to pay as much money to get the shows as other Irish channels would have to

I don't think this has anything to do with it at all. TG4 broadcast to the same number of people in ROI as RTE and TV3. TV3's american shows don't get much more viewers then TG4's. e.g top american shows on TV3 L&O:SVU, Malcome in the Middle and Judge Judy all average 120,000 viewers.(The same goes for RTE TWO.) TG4 top american shows get around the 70,000 mark, and that continues to increase.

TG4 just have an eye for buying quality shows which generally are different to what is usually bought (however they are buying in more ordinary shows like The OC and Without a Trace).
    Obviously TV3 are showing some better stuff (none of which I watch to be honest) but I don't think it takes from my point that someone in RTE is always glad that what TG4 gets, TV3 can't get, though you wouldn't think it from the way they treat the likes of Six Feet Under and CSI

I don't think its a case of TV3 not being able to get them but more a case of TV3 not looking for them. TV3 go with the best deal with the most shows. TV3 relies heavily on ITV for imports and the buys in cheap hundreds of cheap american shows.

While TG4 has a small set budget for imports and spends it wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

TNaG? It hasn't been called that in a long time...

They also used to show Curb Your Enthusiasm which was great.. and at a good time too. Even the BBC used to bury that show in the neater regions of BBC 4.

At the moment I love watching the old Super Friends cartoon every day at around 2pm. It's really funny especially if you watch it next to something like the recent Justice League cartoons.

The Wonder Twins crack me up...

An alien invades and is about to launch a missile attack on the congress building... how do they spring into action?

"Wondertwin powers activate!"
    "Form of an octopus!" "Shape of an ice unicycle!"

What the hell???

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Elmo wrote:
    I don't think this has anything to do with it at all. TG4 broadcast to the same number of people in ROI as RTE and TV3. TV3's american shows don't get much more viewers then TG4's. e.g top american shows on TV3 L&O:SVU, Malcome in the Middle and Judge Judy all average 120,000 viewers.(The same goes for RTE TWO.) TG4 top american shows get around the 70,000 mark, and that continues to increase.

I think it's great the TG4 show all those show (though if they were on TV3 you'd probably hear "why are they showing that american crap!") however…

...be fair, shows on TG4 like Carnivàle, The Wire, The OC and Without a Trace only average about 40,000, Nip/Tuck is the only one that regularly gets over 70,000. On the flip side L&O:SVU averages over 150,000 and Malcolm regularly gets over 200,000. Judge Judy averages about 120,000 and it's outside of peak. On RTÉ Two L&O:CI does about 120-150 when it’s not interrupted by Champions League, Joey and Scrubs do 200+, Desperate HW well over 200+...

I've heard that TG4 has some kind of first refusal rights with the distribution company (I have no idea of details) but I wouldn't argue against the fact that they make good choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Elmo wrote:
    While TG4 has a small set budget for imports and spends it wisely.

I agree - I'd rather have a small set budget that could be spend on decent shows than a larger one to buy greater quantity, but less quality. But then TG4 have way more material to fill the schedules with, and are less pressured to deliver ratings than TV3 is.

Everwood and One Tree Hill haven't been mentioned as two more of TG4's imports. Neither have returned yet, though, which is very unusual for a channel that normally would've started them in January. OTH had a decent first year, but a woeful second one. Everwood's third is a tad week, too, this coming from one of the few series I know to ever have a standout *FIRST* season...

Monkeyfudge - LOL! The Wonder Twins crack me up too. Watch them every day at work, and am usually found dying laughing at insane plot and/or ridiculous dialogue. Good TV though! Good to finally see Super Friends, even thought I think the South Park spoof "Super Best Friends" have a better team!

I think it's great the TG4 show all those show (though if they were on TV3 you'd probably hear "why are they showing that american crap!") however…

There are very few very good shows that TV3 have picked up. Malcome in the Middle, Arrested Development, L&O:SVU and The Sheild. (Sex and The City and Las Vages). And anytime TV3 do have good shows they go in to overdrive promoting them.
    ...be fair, shows on TG4 like Carnivàle, The Wire, The OC and Without a Trace only average about 40,000, Nip/Tuck is the only one that regularly gets over 70,000. On the flip side L&O:SVU averages over 150,000 and Malcolm regularly gets over 200,000. Judge Judy averages about 120,000 and it's outside of peak. On RTÉ Two L&O:CI does about 120-150 when it’s not interrupted by Champions League, Joey and Scrubs do 200+, Desperate HW well over 200+...

You have to look at the over all picture of all of those shows on each channel. TV3 and N2 prob get 40,000 to 200,000 viewers for their american imports (Exception Desprate Housewifes), while TG4 will have 40,000 - 70,000 for most of its american shows. IMO Judge Judy averaging 120,000 viewers shows how bad TV3 american shows are.

Plus TG4 can get from 100,000 viewers to 250,000 viewers for sport.

True about L&O:CI but show how bad RTE are with that show.

Other the total filp side over on RTE ONE ER and CSI get up to 400,000 viewers.

I think its a case of which TV channel its on.

Remember before TV3 had Corro St. and Emmers they wheren't doing much better then TG4 is now.

Elmo wrote:
    Other the total filp side over on RTE ONE ER and CSI get up to 400,000 viewers.

It's that old syndrome of shows on ITV1 or BBC1 doing better than anything on BBC2 or Channel 4... RTE ONE will always have a higher reach, which is why the plan to (presumably, not yet confirmed) put "Lost" on RTE ONE on Mondays (from 9th May, I think) is a pretty decent one. It will certainly generate the higher audiences it deserves there. (I still think Desperate Housewives would have pulled in 400,000+ on RTE ONE if they'd had a night for it, and the potential for an uninterrupted run (no Prime Time specials etc.)

put "Lost" on RTE ONE on Mondays

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

If this is a good show Lost will be lost on Monday nights. Prime Time Investigate one week, Lost the next, The Bank Holiday Movie, Lost the next, An irish mini series, lost the next and so on. Just look at what the do to CSI on a monday night.

I think it would be better suited to Sundays a replacement for ER.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Hmm... doesn't look like Lost is starting on the 9th, No sign of it in the RTÉ guide.

I agree with Elmo though, if it has to be RTÉ One (and given the performance of Rescue Me and 24 so far it probably will be) there's a bit of stability in the ER slot and good audience potential. There's about 6 weeks left of that so you'd never know...

It's true about the programmes audience depending on the TV channel though. I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that if any of those TG4 shows like The OC or Nip/Tuck were on RTÉ or even TV3 they'd be doing much higher ratings.

also IMO Judge Judy getting 120,000 on TV3 says more about Irish viewers than TV3...

I think Lost starts the 23rd,or so someone said on the Lost thread and the evening hearld mentioned something about RTE showing it soon,they mentioned it in a DH article where RTE have already picked up season 2.

tvnutz wrote:
    I think Lost starts the 23rd,or so someone said on the Lost thread and the evening hearld mentioned something about RTE showing it soon,they mentioned it in a DH article where RTE have already picked up season 2.

Yeah, it's confirmed for May 23rd, 10pm, RTE2 (pity, really think they should have put it on RTE1, but it's less likely to be interrupted on RTE2, I suppose.)

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's confirmed for May 23rd, 10pm, RTE2

Well its offical. N2 has ended. No more Comedy on monday night. Are you sure its the 23rd?

It's still a bad night for N2. TV3 have L&O:SVU and RTE One have Q&A while TG4 have Carnavale.

Elmo wrote:
    Well its offical. N2 has ended. No more Comedy on monday night. Are you sure its the 23rd?

So I hear...

I had thought it'd be in place of Desperate Housewives - that's due to finish around the same time, but RTE may want to keep that slot for a programme with female-bias.

Shouldn't interfere with Carnivale - that's tended to start after 11.

carnivale starts at 10.30

tvnutz wrote:
    carnivale starts at 10.30

Ran a search on Digiguide - must've been looking at FX's timeslot or the TG4 repeat (even though none of those are on at 11...) Wasn't actually tuning in on TG4 - finished the series via other means a month ago.

As for the conflicting times, it's only for another six or so weeks - and Lost is worth taping anyway, simply because you'll be amazed at how much you can get from a second viewing. (Though, the same can be said for Carnivale, I suppose, but not to the same extent.)

Would have made more sence to put it on at 21:30 Saturdays on RTE ONE. This would have kept viewers and maybe increased viewers for Tubirty Tonight :(
    Rather then the choice between a movie on 1, 2 and 3.

doh.ie wrote:
    Ran a search on Digiguide - must've been looking at FX's timeslot or the TG4 repeat (even though none of those are on at 11...) Wasn't actually tuning in on TG4 - finished the series via other means a month ago.

As for the conflicting times, it's only for another six or so weeks - and Lost is worth taping anyway, simply because you'll be amazed at how much you can get from a second viewing. (Though, the same can be said for Carnivale, I suppose, but not to the same extent.)

ive seen all of season 2 of carnivale and season 1 of Lost (so far) anyway so no problem for me,might be for others though.

Elmo wrote:
    Would have made more sence to put it on at 21:30 Saturdays on RTE ONE. This would have kept viewers and maybe increased viewers for Tubirty Tonight :(
    Rather then the choice between a movie on 1, 2 and 3.

Agree completely. I think both RTE ONE and a more high profile slot (Saturday or Sunday) would be a great idea for Lost, just to ensure a more mainstream audience. As it stands, there are a lot of people (older adults, mostly) who I think would very much enjoy Lost who now won't likely find it at all. (Remember, years ago, Twin Peaks aired on RTE1, though the second was probably moved to Net2, can't remember.)

I know RTE2 needs to be promoted as this yoof/hip service, but the lost (pardon the pun) opportunity to have great viewing figures for this, even families (parents and older kids, say over 10), on a weekend in prime time, is a mistake in my book.

Advertisement