Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

man in the box.

Options
  • 18-04-2005 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Man in the Box

Looking in the mirror, I know that I can do anything I put my mind’s eye to. I am a very stubborn person, when I set goals I have the patience to achieve them no matter what the cost. I have proven myself that when I attaempt a goal I get it done. It may take me a little while longer than most people because of my learning disabilities but I have learned to adapt. I have dealt with a lot harder things in my life than dealing with attending university I know this. I spent most of my childhood in the children’s aid system, and not in foster care. because of behavioral difficulties I was placed in group homes. I had an abusive biological father who I will never ever call dad. I spent most of my formative years in substandard segregated school situations. I feel that the reason I dropped out in the one year of normal high school was because I was not able to handle the pressures of being normal. In both care and when I left care there was so much stuff happening in my life that school was just another pressure that I could not handle.

I have never used my learning disabilities as a crutch like I have seen some people do. I succeed in spite of them, but sometimes it’s hard. I still have trouble reading and my writing skills have improved and I fancy myself a poet or a writer as I know from friends and family that I have the talent to do something with my writing skills. Appartley I have a way with words. I have severe problems with math and structuring concepts. I think a lot of it has to do with my upbringing and that I did not get much formal education within the system, I was passed thru grades so that I would be the same age as everyone else when I left the system. I think that did more damage than good. I do not belive my actual learning disabilities were diagnosed until 1997 when I returned to fanshawe college for two years of upgrading. School is a struggle for me I will not deny that. I struggle with deadlines and knowing everything in my classes.

Sometimes I feel I am not as smart as the other classmates because I have trouble grasping certain concepts and ideas. I get very angry with myself over simple things I should understand. I have completed college with a child and youth worker degree, I have survived the streets of Toronto with my sanity, why am I having so much trouble with university. Have I reached my academic peak? This question weighs heavily on my mind.

When working on even simple things like this scholarship application or studying I tend to get huge headaches because of using big words or reading them. I usually use coping strategies like doing something different for a while like studying or drawing to distract my mind till the headache goes away.
    My reading disabilities annoy me the most because I like reading but sometimes it is very hard for me to read for extended periods. I feel no one else understands the things I see because it’s so hard for to explain my problems academicly. I have gotten help at the college level and the university level with some of my disabilities but I am a very independent person I do not want assistance in doing something I can do by myself.

I often feel like a man in a box and there is no way out. My learning disabilities feel like a prison and there is no way out. i have things I want to say and it’s very hard to express them because sometimes they come out wrong or I talk too much. Sometimes I think it would be much easier to quit school and get a job and quit persueing my goals, but that would be admitting I’m a failure but unlike my biological father I am not a failure. I am still an angry young man with goals to persue and dreams to achieve. I am a person that goes back to people I knew as a child and shows them that they were wrong. I have so much left to do in this world and so much left to learn. It’s funny because of all the things I have done in my life, learning seems to be the biggest struggle. Some classes and exams seem like brick walls that I cannot run away from. I know in my heart if I failed at least I have done my best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Liking this, a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

Very brave, straightforward writing. It takes guts to be this personal. Well done (from a fellow canuck!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dbones

thanks folks.

Advertisement