Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Policing?

Options
  • 17-04-2005 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me what the equivalent for the verbal noun policing is in Irish? For that matter what is Irish for 'the police'?

Given that Garda Síochána translates as Guardians of the Peace, is it acceptable to use policing and the Garda together when speaking Irish? I can't imagine any other description for what they do and yet their name doesn't convey this. Surely, 'peacing' isn't used? As in, 'the peacing by the Guardians of the Peace has been excellent.'

Before someone asks, this is a serious question and not a piss take.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Póilín(í) is a direct translation of police, though i don't think póilíneacht would be the correct verb form. Maoirseacht would be a viable alternative, being to marshal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

policing - póilíneacht (http://www.acmhainn.ie/focloirparl/ga-en/p.htm) - it's a bit jargoney, though. I've also heard the phrase "ag coimead na síochána" - "keeping the peace".
    policeman/woman - póilín/garda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

póilíneacht is in fairly common usage now as far as I've noticed, with the meaning "policing"

Advertisement