Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a little riddle for yez

Options
  • 17-04-2005 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

puzzle.jpg

The three guys in the left are buried up to their shoulders in the ground and can only look forward (to the right of the picture).
    The bloke on the right has a gun and he tells them that he is going to shoot them all unless one of the three men can tell him what colour hat they are wearing and how they know what colour it is.
    He tells them that all the hats are either black or white and there is at least one black hat and at least one white hat.
    He tells them that if they try to confer information with each other he will kill them all.

Which one can work out which colour hat he is wearing and how?

(p.s. sorry for the crappy diagram)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Could one of them knock their hat off and then tell the guy the colour. Or is that cheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I heard this one before... crapfork I have a bad memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

*Angel* wrote:
    Could one of them knock their hat off and then tell the guy the colour. Or is that cheating?

nah, their arms are all stuck in the ground (sorry my drawing skills are abysmal)

Edit: umm lets say the hats are very well secured , or even glued on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

The middle guy knows that if he and the guy in front of him are wearing the same colour hat then the guy behind him would instantly know what his was. So if the guy at the back doesn't say it, then the middle guy knows that his own hat is different to the guy in front of him. So he's white if the front guy is black and vice versa.

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    The middle guy knows that if he and the guy in front of him are wearing the same colour hat then the guy behind him would instantly know what his was. So if the guy at the back doesn't say it, then the middle guy knows that his hat is different to the guy in front of him.

Folks we have a winner here, ummmm... theres no prize sorry
    well done though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

ahh, you got there before me!! I just got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

smart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Well black absorbs heat and white reflects, so of it's a real hot day the guy in the middle should know he's wearing black if his head is real warm :D

EDIT:bah

bus77 wrote:
    Well black absorbs heat and white reflects, so of it's a real hot day the guy in the middle should know he's wearing black if his head is real warm :D

EDIT:bah

AHA you noticed that i drew no clouds in the sky indicating that it was a sunny day, you my friend are a special kind of genius and joint winner of the puzzle challengy thing :D

Dammit! Alright here's what you do. Bury us both up to our shoulders, and the first one to tell you what hat we're wearing wins...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

stagolee wrote:
    AHA you noticed that i drew no clouds in the sky indicating that it was a sunny day, you my friend are a special kind of genius and joint winner of the puzzle challengy thing :D

YAY! :D

riddle2.jpg

ok heres another one, this ones easy.
    You are in a room with two doors.
    One leads to heaven.
    One leads to hell.
    There are two guardians an angel and a demon.
    The angel cannot lie , the demon never tells the truth.
    You can ask one question of one of them to find out which is the door to heaven.
    What do you ask?

Edit: ignore the daft picture your not meant to know which ones which :o (perhaps theyre both masters of disguise)

Eh... Assuming you don't know which one is the angel and which one is the demon? Otherwise just do the opposite of what the demon says or do exactly what the angel says.

Assuming you don't know, ask one of them what the other one would tell you if you asked them. That way it will always be the wrong door.

Eh... Assuming you don't know which one is the angel and which one is the demon? Otherwise just do the opposite of what the demon says or do exactly what the angel says.

ah smeg :mad: right ignore that pic completley so :o

Ah I kinda liked the pic. Shows you care, you know...

Assuming you don't know, ask one of them what the other one would tell you if you asked them. That way it will always be the wrong door.

yup you still managed to get it right despite me buggering up the question :o

Ro:maaan! is the champ with a 2-1 victory :D
    well done Ro:maaan!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

we want more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

while you can trust that the angel will always tell the truth it does not follow that the devil will always lie, he could tell the truth from time to time, because the devils MO is not toe simply lie but rather to cause problems IMLHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Assuming he always lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Omega Master

I DONT GET IT, it makes NO SCENCE WHATSOEVER :cool: :confused: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

The original version was this:
    You are in a room that has two doors.
    If you go out one door you'll be executed, if you go out the other door you are set free.
    Each door has a guard, and they know which door leads where.
    One always tells the truth, the other always lies.
    You have one question only to ask one guard.
    What question would you ask to find the door to freedom?

Answer below.

Ask either guard "If I asked the other guard which was the door to freedom, which one would he say?"

If you have asked the guard that tells the truth, he knows the other guard will lie and tell you the wrong door, so he truthfully tells you the door the liar woud send you through, which is the execution door.

If you have asked the guard who lies, he knows the other guard would tell you the freedom door, but being a liar he then tells you the execution door.

Either way, the fact you seek goes in series through two stages, one stage preserves the truth, the other converts it to a lie. It doesn't matter which is first and which is second, you know the final answer is a lie, the execution door, so you just go out the opposite door.

Advertisement