Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn impressive!

Options
  • 17-04-2005 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭

Brillant piece of work attached below!

It's about a 15 minute long animated movie... looks amazing and only 64KB!

Anyone know how did they did it so well (possibly DirectX or OpenGL), and only a 64KB file?

PS - the file to run is an EXE. Scanned it using an updated Kaspersky AV. It's safe but if you don't believe me, scan it yourself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

thats class. Anyone no of some more graphical demos? i have all the ati ones and i really like them.

Heres the 96kb game, by presumabely the same crowd. Its only small, but it still takes a fairly decent pc to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

even though its 96kb doesn't mean it doesn't need a fast graphics card. The game uses all the advanced rendering techniques that you'd see in most games. Thats because all those functions are embedded in DirectX, all the game does is use them.

I read up on em before, and they're so small because they generate all the images and suchlike on the fly at the loading screen. There are no bitmaps, no jpegs, no nothing. For detailed descriptions of how they work, check out their website :p
    We merely store the individual steps employed by the artists to produce their textures and meshes, in a very compact way. This allows us to get .much. higher data density than is achievable with normal data compression techniques, at some expense in artistic freedom and loading times.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

There was a competition in a german (I think) magazine, a few years back to see who could create the highest rate of compression or something like that.
    These guys won.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yep all the textures are generated by algorithms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

so the 64k is basically a clever bit of maths and not some fancy texture thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yep.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there used to be a tiny one for flying over mars - fractal landscape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Wow thats amazing

PS how do u shoot in the game

Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Astonishing :eek:

Check out their website for more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Amazing! can you imagine in couple of years, sending 10 dvd quality full movies to someone with an email? lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

CyberGhost wrote:
    Amazing! can you imagine in couple of years, sending 10 dvd quality full movies to someone with an email? lol
    It'll never happen. Ever. Theres limits to what this technology can achieve, and rendering DVD quality movies is DEFINATELY far beyond their capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

CyberGhost wrote:
    gawd you spout some amount of retard crap on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Damn thats amazing compression, good game for less than 100k!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

bazH wrote:

I'm sorry for not being a genius like you

please bless us with your brilliant thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

that kkreiger game was pretty amazing allright, haven't watched to other one yet, will do when i finish work

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

bazH wrote:

Jaysus. That's very harsh. No need for that IMO.

edit: In fact, the post was just independently reported to me as a bad post, and I have to agree with it. bazH: No more personal abuse. Let's just leave it at that.

Advertisement