Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trick Tips

Options
  • 17-04-2005 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

this thread is to help beginners who want to getnew tricks in their list. please add

The ollie is the root of most skateboard tricks. It is the jump of skateboarding. By popping your board and jumping you will get your board a little bit off the ground, then by dragging your front foot up the board to the nose, you will suck the board higher and even it out, to be even with the ground.

The kickflip is considered the most difficult, basic trick. It combines the ollie with the skateboard doing a barrel roll, where it just rotates on an axis that goes across length ways. It rotates counter clockwise when looking from behind. Once the kickflip is learned, a lot more difficult tricks that combine the kickflip with other rotations become possible to learn. The stance of this trick, is similar to an ollie, but the front foot is usually closer to the heel edge of the board.
    Kickflips are one of the most difficult tricks to learn when you first start skating. You should be able to Ollie at least one deck and be fairly familiar with skateboarding.

It is better to learn tricks moving so take a little push so your moving a bit then setup in your stance. I like you have my front foot half way into the board and right about middle, my back foot is usually setup like an Ollie. Make sure you are comfortable with your stance if you are falling over all the time move your front foot more into the board. Ok now you have your stance, pop down and start dragging your front foot up like an Ollie and drag until you reach your bolts. The only difference about this drag and your Ollie drag is that you foot drags on and angle until it falls of the edge and spins the board. Remember to pop really hard and really flick the board out with your foot, it helps your board spin. Once you have practiced the spinning and can spin a full kickflip almost directly under your feet (not in front, be sure not to kick the board in front of you when you spin it) the you should now practice catching the board with both feet.

This is where most people have trouble, getting both their feet onto the board. You want to really pop your board hard then tuck up. When you hear all those other people saying to you look down see the grip tape? then catch the board! They are right there just to lazy to help you. One of the best things to do is try to focus less on spinning the board and more on landing with two feet. So just try to spin half a kickflip and try to catch and land it with both of your feet. When you can do that then don't change how you pop or drag just flick a little harder so you can get the full kickflip around. It is pretty hard to land both of your feet if you board is spinning up and down but this is hard to control when you go off a ramp (I'm not just making excuses for the pictures having the board spin up and down. What? I'm not!). To help the board spin level with the ground have your front foot up a bit on the board and not so much back. Just move it up till the board spins level, another thing is lean forward when you pop and drag or put some more weight on your front foot.

If you have tried spinning the board half a kickflip and landing it and did that for a while and it didn't help then you can do something else. First practice spinning the board and having Only your back foot land and your front foot to the side of the board. Then try the same thing except have only your front foot land and your back foot on the side of the board. Do this for a while and then try your kickflips, it should help.

Remember to always try this trick with a bit of speed and don't be afraid to land on the board. If you are still having trouble after all the tips I can give you then post a message in the message board and some one will try to help you.

The heelflip is an ollie combined with the board spinning opposite to a kickflip. (Clockwise when looking behind) The stance of a heelflip greatly varies on rider. I consider there to be 2 main styles for this trick. The opposite-kickflip style, and the heelflip style. The opposite-kickflip style is when you drag your toe just like a kickflip, but on the opposite side, so it spins the opposite way of a kickflip. This is a really consistant method and to most people looks better, while the heelflip style, is where you actually drag with your heel or kick down with your heel. And in that style, it is almost neccesary to keep your toes hanging off.
    If you have learned the kickflip this is not much harder. There are two ways to place your feet, 1: Back foot on tail ready to pop, and front foot: toes must hang off the board so only your heel is on. 2: This is the way I do it, place your feet exactly the way you do to Ollie. Now you have your position pop up and kind of slide up and push your front but at the same time (For number 2 you need to kick your foot forward and as soon as your toes are off the board point your foot up). Number two maybe harder for some, but it sure does spin faster. When doing position number one watch out and try to spin the board parallel to the ground because you can Popsicle yourself. If the board is spinning too slow all I can say is practice practice or if your using number 1 position then try number 2 because that spins faster. If your still not landing to well then listen to some \"phat beats\" (Music) to pump you up and think big before you leave your room to go out and skate! I find that position number 2 is a lot easier because the board spins faster and parallel to the ground but which ever way your more comfortable that is the way to go!

if any1 wants to add urs go ahead!

Comments

Advertisement