Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone shooting an "exotic" 308?

Options
  • 16-04-2005 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello all,

I see that Scully Guns in Athlone is advertising the Sako TRG and Unique Alpine rifles in the Irish Shooters Digest. Has anyone on the board seen or even own one of these rifles. I would appreciate any opinions.

thanks,

mikeys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Mikey,

Shot the sako TRG last year in .308... It’s a good rifle that shoots around sub moa?

I think f class of factory sporter benchrest would be the best application for it, the mag capacity (10 rounds) is to low for Practical rifle, the stock would not be good for target rifle,

But if you want that sniper/tactical rifle that some of the boys shoot in Tullamore then its perfect!!

The Unique Alpine I have not shot and haven’t seen any of them at the range I think it is very expensive (I think around £3000 sterling) :eek: so once it’s imported into the south there’s going to be even more money on top of that, and you could buy a tricked R.p.a Target rifle, blaser lrs 2 or a sexy southern gun ar 15 with scope and bipod :D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

Bernard , I think you are getting your wires crossed, F-class and factory sporter benchrest are 2 completely diferent disciplines , Fclass is shot prone and any centrefire rifle under 22lbs and under .338 can be used factory or custom, The Trg is a fine rifle for both f class and factory benchrest and will produce similar results to a blaser lrs2, Calibre wise .308 is ok , but I believe 6.5x55 is a better round (but not available in the trg). The trg would not be suitable for Bisley standard target rifle as thats predomininantly shot with single shot .308s with apertures and 30 inch barrels but there are very few of these rifles currently shot here,
    I have handled but not shot the unique but I think its too much money , you could have a good custom from norman clarke or other good gunsmiths for around £2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Hi oldzed,

I meant that the sako trg can be used for f-class OR for sporter benchrest!

Just a bit of a typo on my part..
    The trg would not be suitable for Bisley standard target rifle as that’s predomininantly shot with single shot .308s with apertures and 30 inch barrels but there are very few of these rifles currently shot here

I know that’s why i brought it up! The trg could easily be shot out to 600 yards or if you have the right load even out to 1000 with the 22" - 24" inch barrel but you couldn’t hold the rifle properly as the stock just wouldn’t fit you right when you would be prone. I shoot target rifle with a 30” .308 barrel and those extra few inches are to expel the last fps from the cartridge..

Yeah you could buy a lot more rifle for the price of a trg 22, but at the end of the day its horses for courses!

bernard

Advertisement