Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Skerries

Options
  • 16-04-2005 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I live in a apartment in Kellys bay jetty what type of aerial would I need to pick up RTE etc properly using a indoor one at the mo and the reception is bloody awful also where would I purchase one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

Psygnosis wrote:
    Hi
    I live in a apartment in Kellys bay jetty what type of aerial would I need to pick up RTE etc properly using a indoor one at the mo and the reception is bloody awful also where would I purchase one.

A Grid/ Colour King type would do - (you'd be receiving from 3 Rock Mountain which needs a Wideband-UHF aerial for all 4 stations) - Placed outside, or at a window where there is a clear view to the Dublin Mountains!

you may then have to retune your TV - as with an indoor aerial you might have been getting better reception from a VHF transmitter (i.e. Kippure) for RTE1/2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Can u give me a link to where to purchase this

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

If you live in a Apartment, you better first check with the building management as they can simply turn around and tell you to take it down. What system does your apartment block have already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Grids ("colourkings"/"bowties"/"Antighosts" etc) are rather overrated and I could never understand why theyre so widely used in the Republic. (Im not saying they dont have their uses but Southern aerial riggers seem to automatically go for them as a first choice option)

Although theyre sold as "wideband" aerials and their performance on the middle and high end channels is pretty reasonable on low end (< Ch30) channels a bog standard 10 element yagi works better and isint as bulky

Assuming you are going for Three Rock a 14 ele wideband yagi may be a better choce althogh for Claremont Carn A grid might make some sense alright (especially if you have a clear path to Kilkeel or Camlough as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

ulterman I know that, but for a DIYer without signal strength meter etc a grid used for horizontal polarisation does not have to be aimed as exactly as a yagi. + can be put inside behind a window (if a path exists from there to transmitter) if outdoor aerials are not allowed

Skerries is a bit more north in Co. Dublin than I thought so maybe a 14 element wideband might be a better option alright

There is more than one manufacturer of 'colourking' - I once compared 2 types one made by "Emme Esse" and another by "FM" (I think) - the latter performed better on the low end of UHF - the former better at high! The original Colourkings are no longer made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Psygnosis,
    you will get what you need down in Wesco in the donore industrial estate in Drogheda.What you need to get is a cober grid aerial a B super masthead amphlier and a 12 volt power unit.Is Kellys bay jetty the apartments facing the railway tracks?You will need to point the aerial at Kilkeel which will give you all the 8 stations.You will get a good idea where to point it by looking at the other aerials on the other houses in the estate.If you have any hassle send me a pm and I will sort you out.

Advertisement