Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer sale scam on the Parade

Options
  • 15-04-2005 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Lads, Not sure if ye saw this in the After Hours Thread.....but this happened on the Parade in Kilkenny......

Can you believe this happened? Anyone know him????!!

Man milked dry in computer sale scam

THERE is no use crying over spilled milk . . . but one man can be forgiven for shedding a few tears when he reflects on how he paid €700 for a new computer and ended up with four litres of bainne instead.

The middle-aged man was approached on The Parade in Kilkenny and asked if he was interested in buying a new lap-top.

He was told it was a once-in-a-lifetime offer and €700 would secure the state-of-the-art machine plus accessories. After a few minutes of negotiating, the man reached for his pocket and parted with the money in €50 notes. He received no invoice, sales slip or guarantee - just a case said to contain the computer.

In a scene which could have come straight out of British sit-com 'Only Fools and Horses', the vendor then beat a hasty retreat.

When the man opened the case he found four litres of milk wrapped in cardboard. The milk gave the specially designed hold-all weight and the cardboard gave it the feel of a lap-top.

Sgt Pat Murphy of Kilkenny Garda Station said people should only buy goods from legitimate vendors or from sources they could identify. Anyone with information is asked to contact Kilkenny gardai at 056-772-2222.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Don't know the guy but that scam is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Some boards poster got stung by it in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

How many people have €700 in their wallet? Think it's an urban legend myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Farmers. I worked in a shop, sunday morning they'd all come in after mass. I've seen guys with a couple of grand in their pocket.

Dodging taxes and all that.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Bet the guy had a "Sour" Taste later. :p very expensive milk!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You have to be thick to think you'd get a state-of-the-art laptop for 700e and given that it was some lad on the street if it was real and not a scam then the laptop would be stolen anyway.
    In the end it serves these people right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Yea, sounds a bit crazy to me to but sure there is a fool born every day!

Advertisement