Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Slant

Options
  • 15-04-2005 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I was interested to see how the media would react the the latest series of so called "gangland" murders in Dublin - 3 murders in 2 weeks and it's not getting much column inches.......

Amazing, if the tables we turned and it was happening here in Limerick, you'd have all the media types doing reports in their flak jackets from the armed checkpoints around the city, and there would be calls for the ERU to be permanently stationed here etc. The news papers would be running feature articles on the crime families and once again the city would be slurred for the actions of a few.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Im not sure I agree, take a listen to the news at one on radio one right now if you want an example, they are giving an account of the life and crimes of some dublin gangster that was murdered last night.

While it was the case in the past, I think the media is finally getting the message.

but then all it takes is some lazy prime time scumbage from RTE to do a "Tale of Two Cities II" documentary with 45 minutes of negative press and five minutes of positive press about limerick to undo everything that has been done to change peoples attitudes towards limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I kinda agree.
    The media have acctually brought the whole thing out in the open. Not as they would have, if it had happened down here, but certainly more than they ever have before.
    In saying that though, I was watching an interview on RTE news, with some Fina Fail TD (I can't for the life of me remember who!). He started out saying that nothing like this had ever happened in Ireland before, then rephrased it by saying, well at least not in Dublin (we can all guess what he was implying!). He then went on to say that the four gangland style killings in Dublin so far this year is more than they have had there, in the last two or three years. This is an out, and out lie!
    So, maybe the media is for once pulling their collective thumb out, but the attitude beneath it all, is still the same.

Advertisement