Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteers needed of 27th April 2.30 pm

Options
  • 15-04-2005 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

I need 6 volunteers for 27th April to act as Jury members for a Coroners Inquest.
    The location is Store Street beside Bus Aras and time is 2.30pm at most about 2 hours of your time would be taken up. If you think you may be interested please pm me or pass on the request to any other possibe intersted parties. No time wasters please this is a serious plea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

anyone have two hours to spare for the greater good
    ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Are jurors not normally selected from the electoral register? Seems like an odd request to me; care to elaborate a bit? I'm more curious than anything.
    I see from your profile that your in law enforement so I take that your a guard.
    If it is a genuine request you should ask the politics mod can you post this there, there's plenty of people there who may be interested in this.

Your right normally the courts organise there own juries, except for the bloody Coroners Court where they leave up to the investigating Gardai, me in this case !! At this stage I have had all my friends in etc at other cases over the years and thats why I am posting here because I really need 6 volunteers for Wed, its only 2 hours at most and you can Dart or Luas it there , and I will buy a pint for any volunteers!!( after ) :)

Redshift wrote:
    Are jurors not normally selected from the electoral register? Seems like an odd request to me; care to elaborate a bit? I'm more curious than anything.
    I see from your profile that your in law enforement so I take that your a guard.
    If it is a genuine request you should ask the politics mod can you post this there, there's plenty of people there who may be interested in this.

Have I ans your questions and could you approach the Politics Mod for me ?

I've received your pm.
    I don't know what luck you would have here getting people to volunteer for that.
    I also wasnt aware that people had to volunteer for this.
    As you have been around since 2000,I'll assume you know the run of the place.
    The politics forum is a discussion forum and not an appropriate place for such a request I think.

I'll mention this on the mod board to see what the story might be with your request and where it may or may not be appropriate.
    Thats the best I can do for now

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick response , It had never occurred to me to post any where other than the Volunteering Forum , so there is no hassle there !! I reckon I will just have to corner a few retired type people with time on their hands and bribe them with some suitable inducements. The Coroners Court system of organising juries is very unsatisfactory , and it should be a matter for the Court itself ,
    but hey thats the system ! :rolleyes:

just need 5 more guys/girls please !!!!

Ok you can start a new thread in the politics forum with your request.

Make sure you give a description of what this would involve and maybe where possible give examples of cases, without identifying anybody and how long the cases went on etc.

I'll make it clear in a post in the thread that this is being done as an exception and is not to be taken as permission for this to be repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What would I need to do, if I went?

Juror's are requested to listen to evidence and facts of a fatality, ask any questions they deem to be relevant to establish the full facts and determine a verdict and/or recommendations. (for instance a jury could recommend that a road traffic sign be adjusted, or some proceedures be put in place or changed)

basically you would have to listen to peoples statements they made to the Gardai being read over in court , and any questions that the coroner may ask them ( usually only to clarify a point ), after this the jury would have to reach a decision on how/why the death ocurred , again the coroner would suggest, its normally something like, death by misadventure, accidental death , unlawful death etc etc There will 2 cases so it should be over by 4.30 pm at the latest and while it is a court it is a lot more informal then reqular criminal, civil courts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement