Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a word... again...

Options
  • 14-04-2005 11:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I only want you for your mind, Gaeilge forum...

I'm looking for a name for a community-based, community-driven wiki site I want to put up over the summer. I was thinking of something simple like community.ie or commons.ie, but community.ie is kind of simplistic-icky, and "commons" is more of a british word that isn't used as much over here. So it occured to me that there might be a nice Irish word that I could use.

I'm not tied to "community" and "commons", other words that represent the concept of community, community space, gatherings and discussions might work too; even more abstract ideas like "water cooler" and "society". So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

(Bear in mind that the word would be used in the domain name, so it would probably be best if the word wasn't accented.)

TIA,
    adam

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sounds like a pretty worthwile project! Here's a few of names that could be used;

1. Community = comhphobal
    2. Society = cumann (eg cumann comhshochair = mutual benefit society)
    cumann áitiúil = local society - (probably shouldn't use áitiúil
    w/out accents - aitiuil - as this means strange!)
    3. Locality = ceantar - (this my favourite, tis a nice word, could be used as
    "your locality" - bhur gceantar (plural) - and look, no fadas!
    4. Water cooler = cuisneoir uisce (lit. water refridgerator)

Best of luck with that,
    let us know what the site's like when done

Auf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Excellent, thanks hullaballoo. I like ceantar and cumann so far, ceantar because of what it represents (although there is a tie-in with "local.ie", which I might want to avoid!) and cumann because people are familiar with the word and will remember it. Great start, good ones to think about, thanks again. Anyone else?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

pobal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

gnáthóg!!
    Pobal is a good one only it might cause controversy in it's link to an phoblacht, all depends what your site is about i suppose-good luck with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is pobal a contraction of comhphobal or something? I like that a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

They're pretty much exactly the same. One's just a bit more long-winded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Meitheal would be an obvious one for a wiki (everyone helping out etc) but meitheal.ie seems to be already taken.

Advertisement