Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laser eye surgery in cork.

Options
  • 14-04-2005 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

hi,
    I have to get laser eye surgery done asap and was wondering is there anyone who got it done in cork and where.
    Also how long did they have to wait from the initial consultation to the actual operation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

As far as I know the only place in Cork now is Shanakiel hospital. Ring them and ask for Gerry Kervick's secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

They make you wait six weeks to be sure you understand what you're getting into. I got mine done in Dublin - the machine in Cork was broken at the time but from what I've heard they're much better in Dublin anyway.

Why do you have to get lasik?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭shaz021

hi i have to get it done because i have applied to join the gardai and my eyes do not meet the requirement at all!!
    i am thinking now of going to london, it is way cheaper over there a clear grand, thats including the conversion to sterling accomadation and flights!

Saving money should not be your number one priority when choosing where to go. Your eyes are far too important. You should probably bring someone with you too cos things are a little fuzzy after the op.

Sure your eyes are grand - there's no need to see that number-plate......I wasn't going that fast.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Saving money should not be your number one priority when choosing where to go. Your eyes are far too important. You should probably bring someone with you too cos things are a little fuzzy after the op.

My thoughts too, I'd spend as much as I could afford on it, and I've been mulling with the idea for the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

nesf wrote:
    My thoughts too, I'd spend as much as I could afford on it, and I've been mulling with the idea for the past few years.
    Playing devils advocate perhaps but spending top dollar doesnt guarantee a trouble free op either. There are no guarantees with lasik.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eurorunner wrote:
    Playing devils advocate perhaps but spending top dollar doesnt guarantee a trouble free op either. There are no guarantees with lasik.

Well I was talking about the care and setting of the operation, for instance I'd like somewhere nice and comfortable for the recovery, and I'd appreciate the finest drugs money could buy for it! And it's something that I would research extensively before signing anything.

But medical care is something that I've always found worth paying for extra for. But I've been in and out of hospital quite a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chippo

I've looked into it myself and i've heard some bad things about the one in cork. the Dublin crowd is supposed to be very very good. I'll head to dublin to get mine done thats for sure!

There's a new one right at the end of Melbourne Avenue at the Model Farm Road end too, isn't there?

There's lots of different places in Dublin.....Alright, three that I know of. The Maher, the Blackrock and the Wellington eye clinic where I got mine done. I'd recommend them but it's one hell of a pain in the ass to go all the way to Dublin for the post op checkups which usually only take five minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

my night for reviving dead threads sorry!

Just wondering what the recommended age for laser eye surgery would be??
    I know a lot of people who have had it done but they would all have at least 10 years on me, Im not planning on doing it for a year or two as my eyesight hasnt stopped deteriorating yet but, out of curiousity are many of you under 25?

• Advertisement

Had mine done when I was 24.

Advertisement