Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is kundalini?

Options
  • 14-04-2005 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed this mentioned all over the place on another forum? Anyone know what it is?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kaboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

To the best of my knowledge it is pent up energy within us all (often represented by a coiled serpent or snake). Ive heard it said that when used to its full potential one can preform telepathy and psycic predictions.
    Its popped up all over Asian spirituality.

Kundalini Yoga is aimed at releasing this energy.
    In the classical literature of Kashmir Shaivism kundalini is described in three different manifestations:
    The first of these is as the universal energy or para-kundalini.

The second of these is as the energizing function of the body-mind complex or prana-kundalini.

The third of these is as consciousness or shakti-kundalini which simultaneously subsumes and intermediates between these two

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I have tried Kundalini Yoga (basic stuff) just this week for the first time, hard work but very good for stretching and relaxing.

I have heard some scary stories about Kundalini meditating going wrong. Seemingly you should know what you are doing before trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah, so it's a technique. The way people were talking about it I thought it was a goal, like an alternative word for enlightenment or something.

Yeah I've heard doing work on primary chakras without being experienced can totally upset your body's balance.

Okay, read some of the scare stories. Scary indeed. Especially as kundalini seems to be very closely connected with chi.

• Advertisement

Looked up the difference.

Kundalini energy is focused at the perinium, chi is focused in the sub-navel energy centre. I've been careful to concentrate almost soley on the sub-navel so I should be okay.

Dug out a book I read last year that covers a fair bit about Kundalini. Book is called - "Path Notes Of An American Ninja Master - Glenn Morris". Dont let the title put you off! It is martial arts related in some chapters but covers a huge amount more. There are two chapters about Kundalini and Chi Kung. Thought the below paragraphs are worth quoting -

"Kundalini as a means and outcome of mastering energy is an actual biological process that when observed objectively closely follows its mythic description. J.C. Cooper defines it as "the serpent which lies coiled at the base of the spine in the chakra known as the muladhara (the Japanese like hara) and which lies dormant until awakened by yogic and spiritual practices when it begins to ascend through the chakras (endocrine glands or Go Dai), bringing increasing powers into play, until it reaches the highest point in total awareness and realization. It is latent energy; unawakened being; the sleeping serpent power; the primordial shakti (creative female energy) in a man. To awaken it is to break the ontological plane and attain the sacred Centre: enlightenment. The symbolism of the kundalini is associated with that of the serpent, or dragon, or spine, the world axis".

"This is not trivial knowledge, nor is it evil, though enlightened men have always been feared by the established order particularly if it has lost its Way. This is worth setting some time aside to attempt. My experience and observations lead me to assert that you should clean up your act before seriously starting the meditative process. It is also helpfull if you have some interesting life experiences under your belt or your IQ is well above average, as the gods are real when you enter the void and they will test your endurance. There is interesting work to be done."

Some of the other chapters include-

Meditations for becoming enlightened
    Seeing and feeling the Aura
    Healing
    Magic, crystals, talismans and swords
    Dreams and dreamers

As I say, it is martial arts related but I dont think you need to practice the martial art to appreciate the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭fortysixand2

Heh, I seem to have come a tad late to this thread, but that word always catches my attention. It was described to me as a powerful "evolutionary" force, that normally is at rest at the bottom of the spine, in/near the base chakra. And from what I've heard of letting it rise before you're capable of handling it, it's not a fun thing to have happen . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭PaulinCork

from: http://www.yogaananta.it/yoga%20culture/chakras/chakras_uk.htm
    chakras.jpg

Kundalini is a Serpent Goddess that lives coiled up at the base of the spine. She is the same Energy as that which creates and destroys the universe and can be encouraged to rise up the spine opening each of the seven sacred energy centres in your spine which are called Chakras. (spinning wheels)

The word Kundalini, like the word chakra comes from an Indian/Tibetan Hindu and Buddhist magical system called Tantra.
    Sacred sex is only one part of Tantra, it also uses devotion to Deities, ceremony, mandalas, vizualisation, mantras etc, etc

There are seven major Chakras

The Root Chakra: **Muladhara**at the base of your spine
    **grounds you in this reality and connects you to the Earth
    issues of survival and security live here

The Belly/Moon Chakra/Hara** Swaddisthana **two finger widths below your navel. Sexuality and primal emotions like neediness live here. In Chinese medicine and martial arts, this is where your personal power lives

The Solar Plexus/Sun Chakra ** Manipura** ego, healthy self esteem.

The Heart Chakra**Anahata** The "Buddha" or "Christ" centre of invulnerable compassion, between your nipples. The divine within you

The Throat Chakra**Vishuddi** at the centre of your throat, communication and creative self-expression

The Third Eye**Ajna** betweeen your eyebrows, psychic abilities

The Crown Chakra** Sahasara** the top of the head your link with the stars and with God.

This image is from the web page of the artist Alex Gray:
    http://www.alexgrey.com/
    14.jpg

Here's an Indian painting of the Chakras:
    tg76.jpg

Sorry to bump a 5 year old thread but I did a search to see if it had been discussed before only to find that it had and included me :o

Anyway, I drifted away from it back then and am now revisiting - I've been practicing Qigong a lot again lately and loving it, now decided to look at Kundalini again given its somewhat close connection in terms of energy etc. Has anyone else tried Kundalini and actually managed to achieve the energy rising? The horror stories still worry me somewhat, but I'm very interested in the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I had Kundalini rising before I had even heard about it.

I was already and energy practitioner and was on a tantric path and then the headaches, prickling all over and the dreams started, the most vivid on was of swallowing a snake and when I fought it I felt as if I was choking but when I eventually gave in it slithered down my spine to curl at the base of it.

While speaking with a mentor about the dream she told me it was Kundalini and that was the start of me working with it and integrating it into who and how I am.

For me it is connected to sexuality and creativity and waking the snake is invigorating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I've been enjoying the bliss of a Kundalini awakening for many years now and it is an important aspect of our spiritual growth. Yet with all spiritual Gifts, it needs to be used for the correct purpose. There are sects who use Kundalini energy for reasons of gaining power etc, yet for myself the raising of Kundalini is the process of growing closer to the Source. The True Source of our True Self.

Here is a great link about Kundalini awakening and stories from people. On the left hand side of the are many different links discussing aspects of the Kundalini process you may find useful

http://padmacahaya.com/Kundalini/Kund1.html

padma wrote: »
    I've been enjoying the bliss of a Kundalini awakening for many years now and it is an important aspect of our spiritual growth. Yet with all spiritual Gifts, it needs to be used for the correct purpose. There are sects who use Kundalini energy for reasons of gaining power etc, yet for myself the raising of Kundalini is the process of growing closer to the Source. The True Source of our True Self.

Here is a great link about Kundalini awakening and stories from people. On the left hand side of the are many different links discussing aspects of the Kundalini process you may find useful

http://padmacahaya.com/Kundalini/Kund1.html

Thanks for that link, interested to learn more about Reiki Tummo after reading..

Hi Scuba, as you can digest from reading through that link, There is an emphasis on Heart, and using Heart in your everyday life. When Heart becomes purer the Kundalini rises effortlessly. Also having your Whole Sushumna open is important for the Core of the Kundalini to rise, as there are no major blockages along the sushumna interfering with the process. The wonderful thing is with practice and commitment within a short period (earthly years) this happens, not because of our own effort/desire or ego, but simply because we rely on the Blessing to do it for you.

Pm me if you have any more questions as Have been on this path for 7 years now, and don't want to seem to others that I am promoting a modality on Boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

My Fiancée is currently training to be a Kundalini Yoga teacher.

I have to say I love it.
    We first became interested in Kundalini through the DVD's of Maya Fiennes. www.mayaspace.com

I would agree with everything that has been said above.

If you are interested in practising Kundalini my fiancée will be running classes after she has qualified. We are based in Limerick.

Maya's dvds are great though, you can get them on Amazon fairly cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

I don't think it's been mentioned in any of the posts, only Thaedydal has touched upon it, but I believe one of the stated objectives of Tantra is the awakening of the Kundalini, as a means of acheiving enlightenment, through the medium of sex.

Sounds like a fun way to explore it, if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is an ecstatic path, every orgasm being a step on the bath of enlightenment.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It is an ecstatic path, every orgasm being a step on the bath of enlightenment.

There is no orgasm in true Tantric Sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

I don't get from did this Tantrik and thoughts related not with it even creeped up in this thread in the last three posts.

Kundalini is our body chakras that have hidden power and path to realise the truth of this world and meeting your creator i.e god himself. It solves body, mind and soul problems like a miracle. Trying yoga and meditation is best to activate Kundalini. It opens up the all new energy world to humans.

meryem wrote: »
    I don't get from did this Tantrik and thoughts related not with it even creeped up in this thread in the last three posts.

Kundalini is our body chakras that have hidden power and path to realise the truth of this world and meeting your creator i.e god himself. It solves body, mind and soul problems like a miracle. Trying yoga and meditation is best to activate Kundalini. It opens up the all new energy world to humans.

Kundalini is not your bodies Chakras, Kundalini is the gift from God (Divine Source) which is in your perineum which when it is activated it will move up THROUGH your bodies Chakras along the sushumna cleansing opening further the Chakra to reach the Crown chakra and goes beyond the Crown Chakra to open you up to receiving the full blessing from the creator to return to the Creator (YOGA). In essence it is the tool to help you to return to the creator (YOGA).

In some people if the sushumna is not fully open and clean, the kundalini once awakened may force a lot of pressure like water in a pot with a lid giving rise to what is commonly refferred to as Kundalini Syndrome. Then the Kundalini willl rise through the ida and pingala channels as it looks for the outlet.

For the Kundalini to rise it is a gift from the Creator which the creator is waiting for every being to experience. By opening our Hearts to the Creator we let the Love from the Creator do this whole process. By trying to force and control this energy we use our own ways rather than the way that is provided by the Creator, which is Love :)

May all Beings have their Hearts open fully to experience the joy of being Loved.

• Advertisement

Finally a perfect reply to ask this thread be closed if it really needs to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

It's sort of like a madras but it's not as spicy and tends to be served with lamb.

To reach this state the interior energies start to move in new ways, breaking old stuck patterns in our cells and our psyches, opening the belly and the heart to vulnerability and presence, opening the throat to new expression that is free of self-consciousness, and opening the mind to clarity and stillness. This takes some time, usually years, and this is why one is said to be in a kundalini process.

Other Kundilini activating articles:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5127325_activate-kundalini.html
    http://www.siddhashram.org/kundalini.shtml

Advertisement