Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beck - Guero ... a disappointment

• 14-04-2005 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Not sure if anybody agrees with me hear but Guero IMO is a bit of a dog. The press is touting it as his best since Odelay, so untrue. Sea Change dances all over it. Am I alone hear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

No I think its real crap, although I was kinda hopin for a midnite vultures type sound which is a classic, ah well you have to give the man a chance to mess up every once in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

yay, join the party. it's very beck by numbers, nothing special at all, forgetable even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

I think every Beck album has a sort of thing going on where you have to listen to it for a good while before you really get into it....I couldn't stand 'Midnite Vultures' for about a year after I got it, now I absolutely love it. Having said that though, 'Earthquake Weather' especially and 'Missing' and a couple of other tracks stand out to me as being rather nice. Does 'Broken Drum' remind anyone else of 'Static'?... Anyway, I'm just glad he's reverted back to his good old 'At first glance nonsensical, but turn out to be pretty damn clever' lyrics instead of the clichéd sh*te that appeared on Sea Change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

but Lost cause still makes my heart stop for a second ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭radiospan

I was never a huge Beck fan, and I haven't heard much of the album, but the Boards of Canada remix of Broken Drum is amazing. I think it's included as a bonus track on some copies of the album, along with mixes by Royksopp and Dizzee Rascal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭radiospan

That's odd. Those three remixes happened to be the three single reviews on Pitchfork today: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/tracks/05-04-18.shtml :eek:

Ahh pitchfork...poor misguided pitchfork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Beck hasnt done anything good since mellow gold. I loved 1 foot in the grave and mellow gold but everything after that i thought was fairly lame.

Erm...Mutations?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

I liked Midnite Vultures a lot and Sea Change was excellent as well. Come to think of it Mutations was good as well.

I think Beck's weird, random lyrics are wearing a bit thin. Sea Change proved that he can pen a really good album when he wants to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone else got the dvd-audio mix?

Its really good is a little gimmicky in places.

I`ve only listened to the album 3 or 4 times so far so I`m not totally familiar with it yet,but at this early stage I really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 S. Fly

Beck hasnt released a decent note since 1996, and even then it was sampled.

More examples of the press trying to get behind a new release to try revive the dead contemporary music industry.

There are so many things wrong with that statement. :rolleyes:

Advertisement