Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dial up with Win XP SP 2

• 14-04-2005 6:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

My laptop is

Satellite A30-921
    p4 - 2.8ghz -512 DDR

Dial up is so slow loading the pages its driving me insane. Was using IOL - duh.

Moved to UTV Dial up
    Increase Virtual member/changed setting to improve perf, background services.
    Enabled passive FTP for firewall compat -

Now i can actually sent pm's via dial up at home. Thank Chriost!
    I hope it not just unusual connection activity. Im navigation boards with the speed of the office isdn connection.

sweet

Questiontime

Does anyone have any settings etc i do to tweak the beast -
    Also i increase the VM to the max - can this be problematic downthe road -

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 847 ✭✭✭pcwares

anyone ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 847 ✭✭✭pcwares

anyone ??

i increased VM to its maximum on them minimum settings - 4096 i fink -- will that cause probs down d line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MADMAXX

The Best Thing 2 Do Is Uninstall Ser Pack 2 Its More Trouble Than Its Worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

MADMAXX wrote:
    The Best Thing 2 Do Is Uninstall Ser Pack 2 Its More Trouble Than Its Worth

So the sercurity fixes and patches aren't worth it then? I reckon they are. My lappy went very slow after installing SP2 so I ran some XP optimising apps and they speeded it up. But I was never happy with it. So I reinstalled XP from scratch and then installed SP2 over the fresh install of windows and now it works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Try using FireFox instead of Internet Explorer, i've found it quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

SP2 is a crucial update for Windows XP< I seriously recommend it. Not just for the pop-up blocker in Internet Explorer, obviously, but because of the firewall, auto update and wireless networking features. (You'll end up using them at some stage).

What could be slowing down your connection are the automatic updates running in the background. Windows doesnt explicitally telling you when it downloads updates (some of which can be quite large ~15mb). It automatically installs them too. Only a little sys tray icon tells you this is happening. So, turning these updates off (Control Panel => Security Centre => Auto updates) can speed things up quite nicely.

By the way, I used Firefox for a while, but found that there were a LOT of pages that didnt work with it. And a couple of other annoying things, like when a website times out or you mistype an address, theres a popup that you have to click to get rid of. And it loads a lot slower. Only particularly good thing was the tab browsing and download manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I switch between Firefox and IE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

http://ieview.mozdev.org/

When you open a site in Firefox and it doesn't display properly, you can just right-click on the page and Choose "Open in IE". You can also right-click on links and choose "Open in IE".

They're working on having a list of sites than when you navigate to them in Firefox, they will automatically launch in Internet Explorer.

Advertisement