Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatting ipod?

Options
  • 14-04-2005 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Recently I returned from a trip in America and as you probably guessed I got an ipod. When over there a friend uploaded a load of music onto it I wanted on his mac. But upon getting back to Ireland, installing the software and plugging in the device my pc told me it was unreadable and I needed to format it before it could read it :eek: . It also said it could preform better if I had a high power 2.0 usb port. When I read the manual it said this high power port was necessary for it to work on a PC :confused: and I was wondering if this was why it wasn't working. Because I don't want to format it and loose all the songs if it still wont work without the USB port. What I'm asking is, did anyone else have to format their ipod before their pc could read it?
    Appreciate any advice,...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

ipod's have to be formatted for mac or pc. it cannot work on both. so you will need to transfer the songs to a mac and then re-format to a pc. i use mine with usb 1.1 and its fine. its claims it doesnt work, but it does.

moe

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

thanks a million, now all I have to do is find a Mac....shouldn't be too hard eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

If you format your iPod on a Mac, it's formatted with HFS+, but Windows does not recognize HFS. If you format it with Windows, it will work with both Mac and Windows (In Manual Mode) because OS X can recognise both FAT32 and HFS. HFS+ leaves a bit more space available, and you can use the iPod as a boot disc via FireWire for a Mac.

Advertisement