Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Knobs

Options
  • 14-04-2005 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, anyone know where I can get a bag of these knobs, the few we have left are all pretty grubby looking and broken.
    Ive only seen the in one hardware shop where they were individually priced and in pretty tatty condition.
    Didnt see 'em in Homebase or B&Q...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Are you talking about the cap on top of the radiator valve or the lock shield valve, as they are sometimes different. I always was under the impression that they were part of the valve, and as such were not available on their own. Local hardware or plumbers might be able to help you.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The white cap that actually opens/closes the valve beneath. They are just plastic knobs with "This way makes more hotter" arrows (and the corresponding other "plain" cap for the out).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The caps on mine just pop off. The only difference between the two is that one has a keyed hole in it to match the flats on the valve, and the other doesn't.

Mine are looking a bit tatty too, and when we moved into the house I wanted to replace them, but ran into a brick wall of apathy when trying to fnd anyone who stocked them.

Alun wrote:
    The caps on mine just pop off. The only difference between the two is that one has a keyed hole in it to match the flats on the valve, and the other doesn't.

Mine are looking a bit tatty too, and when we moved into the house I wanted to replace them, but ran into a brick wall of apathy when trying to fnd anyone who stocked them.

Jaysus Alun, you're a woodturner, make wooden one's...GRRrrr.

kadman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kadman wrote:
    Jaysus Alun, you're a woodturner, make wooden one's...GRRrrr.

kadman :D
    ROTFLMAO :) I can see them now, nice and intricate with a cute little finial on the top ... I've got a load of spalted beech I could use :) Hmmm, maybe there's a business opportunity there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

LMAO! this is some funny **** for someone with the maturity level of a two year old!
    anyone know where I can get a bag of these knobs
    They are just plastic knobs

Alun wrote:

Yeah I think they just sit ontop of the value, not screw or anything like a tap for example.
    If I find some I'll let you all know, maybe I'll become a retailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

CDV in coolmine Industrial estate have caps in stock for "Myson" radiator valves.

Phone (01) 821 6006

Tell em the crazy roofer sent ye ;)

cool, is that the entire valve of can you just get the plastic "handwheel" as they call it?
    Or maybe I'll just ring 'em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

these valves aren't all the same. after making an arse of myself buying 2 or 3 wrong 'uns all over Dublin I got a myson at CDV in coolmine...5 minutes away...

check to see if there's a brand name on the one(s) you're replacing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Rosses plumbing merchants Hanlons Corner D7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Greebo,

That's the caps on there own, CDV sell Myson that is why they have those spares, like Shabbyroad said make sure you are buying from a stockist of your type of valve.

Better again bring a pair with you, don't foget which side was adjustable when you replace them, because to interfere with the side that spins could upset the balance of heat from your radiators.

Yep, myson it is.
    As for taking care which side is which, far too late for that Im afraid.
    Trying to reset them all, Im new to this house so dont know what to expect from the heating yet.
    What is the recommended setting for these valves?
    Should the outlet be 100% open with the inlet adjusted for temp control or vice versa?
    thx for the help guys

The lock shield valve settings are normally set by a plumber to maintain correct temperature out put from your rads. Once set they should not be altered, hence the term lockshield. As you can imagine the first rad on the circuit nearest the boiler will have a higher temperature of water entering it , than the last rad on the circuit, due to pipe run lengths ect, so you would have different lockshield valve settings .

Its really worth paying a plumber to set all your lockshield valves for you, as he has the proper temp guages to set your system for its optimum performance.

yeah, well once I get the taps for the valves Im gonna turn em all off and the on one by one, least open closest to boiler until the furthest away
    just dont know how to balance each individual rad
    time for more googling!

FYI
    http://www.salamander-engineering.co.uk/technicalcentre/faq/faq.htm#balance

Clip on temperature guage onto the outlet pipe of the rad.

Advertisement