Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silicone sealant remover

Options
  • 11-04-2005 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get silicone sealant remover. I need to remove some sealant which has cured and elbow grease isn't doing the job, nor white spirit, nor petrol, nor soapy hot water, etc.....
    Local hardware store didn't have any.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Try

Chadwicks Plumb Centre
    Greenhill Road, Walkinstown, Dublin 12.
    Tel No. (00 35 31) 4602888

or

PH Ross Limited
    12-32 Old Cabra Road, (Hanlon's Corner), Dublin 7.
    Tel No. (00 35 31) 838 5666

or

Arcon
    Glenview Industrial Estate,
    Herberton Road,
    Rialto,
    Dublin 12 TEL (IRL) 01 454 1384

or

Davies Ltd,
    150 Harmonstown Rd,
    Raheny,
    Dublin 5.
    Tel: 01-8511700 Fax: 01-8511701

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

I had the same problem last week, we removed shower doors and the shower seal which had been sealed with silicone along all the edges, it was applied quite thickly. We completely removed all trace of it with a stanley scraper blade (out of its holder) we ran the blade behind the silicone at an angle, this kinda filleted all the silicone off the tiles and only left behind a fine residue which washed off with 'astonish' and a cloth. Very little elbow grease involved.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Try your nearest pvc window manufacturer/installer, they would normally use this for cleaning up after window installation, so they might be prepared to sell you some.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I bought a tube of silicon sealant remover in Woodies a few months back. Helped a bit. Think it was about €10. Also, I think the wife got a bottle of something called sugar soap (dunno if thats right) and used that to remove the remainder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Silicon sealant remover.. it really exists :eek:

Used to be the only thing that dissolved silicone was a little methlyene chloride in concentrated sulphuric acid, really nasty stuff, would dissolve just about anything.

Yeah sugar soap is used for cleaning before painting or wall papering n' stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Silicon sealant remover.. it really exists :eek:
    it was in a tube and manufactured by one of the companies who sell silicon sealant. You just squeeze it on over the silicon and let it sit on it for about an hr and come back and supposidley makes it easier to remove.
    Elbow grease still required. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Purchased silicone sealant remover in Woodies in Lucan today - approx €8.20.

Advertisement