Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Kitchen Carcass, doors etc

Options
  • 11-04-2005 5:37pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads & ladies,

Went kitchen hunting at the weekend to get an idea of what sort of designs the companies would come up with and also to get an idea of costs.
    To say I nearly feel off the chair would be an understatement!

So I was contemplating buying the carcasses, getting the doors and assembling myself.

First off, do you think I would save money?
    2nd - Where does a man go ?
    3rd- herself want a cream/buttermilk colored kitchen, now can you get these doors straight off or do they have to be sprayed or will I have issues with getting plinths etc of the same colour.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭alic

I've heard lots of folks are going to scotland to bye kitchens ,even with delivery you save a good bit plus a weekend away :D .
    I think they go to Ikea

Macker

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Macker - definately can see the point of that, have a look at this site, some difference in prices
    http://www.withknobson.com/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

yop wrote:
    Lads & ladies,

Went kitchen hunting at the weekend to get an idea of what sort of designs the companies would come up with and also to get an idea of costs.
    To say I nearly feel off the chair would be an understatement!

So I was contemplating buying the carcasses, getting the doors and assembling myself.

First off, do you think I would save money?
    2nd - Where does a man go ?
    3rd- herself want a cream/buttermilk colored kitchen, now can you get these doors straight off or do they have to be sprayed or will I have issues with getting plinths etc of the same colour.

Thanks

Hi Yop,

Are you looking for a solid timber door that is sprayed to suit, or are you talking about a melamine/ laminate faced chipboard or mdf.

I think the most cost efficient supplier of kitchens at the moment, in my opinion would be cash and carry kitchens. Thier price and quality is excellent, and their range of kitchens is good. I have assembled some of the knockdown units from the likes of Atlantic homecare for friends, and to say their quality is appalling is an understatement.

Carcases are straight foreward , and all seem to fall into a common form of construction, mdf materials, screwed or knockdown fitting, and levelling legs on a boxed carcase. Drawer units with standard drawer roller slides being the norm.

If you are looking for something out of the ordinary, as you know now, its going to cost a lot more. Any deviation from standards, 180 deg hinges instead of 90 ect, tends to creep the price up.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

B & Q are amongst the cheapest & the quality is pretty good too - their Irish prices are a straight price conversion from their UK ones on their website & the full range is available from all of their stores. I built my new kitchen from their flatpacks & we're delighted with it.

www.diy.com is their website -

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/category/category.jsp?CATID=11190 is the link to their kitchens page. Just divide the prices by 0.68 & you'll be pretty close to their euro prices instore

If i were buying flatpacks for any use, I would stick to the ranges manufactured in europe, especially Denmark. The quality of european manufacture would be well above the readily available, Malayasian products.

But bear in mind that a flat pack kitchen will never compare to a designer made piece. You get what you pay for.
    kadman :):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thats lads, I have not seen the cash and carry in the flesh so I cannot comment on them, pity the apes finish at 1pm on a Saturday!! Must head up and have a look though.
    I was talking to a few Express kitchen crowds and it seems that they do not do the wide drawers and utensil holders etc, any confirm that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

We were close to going cash and carry, but a local lad did a better deal - especially once appliances were included (actually cash and carry couldn't supply the island hood). Also he called up to the house to discuss options and look at the room, went away to draw up plans and we've got a far better layout now than from other places that basically draw up what you come in with (options we didn't think off etc). It looks well so far, find out the finished result tonight! Maybe worth trying a few independents, although we had some crazy quotes too.

B&Q compare alright price wise, but a few things like the corner wall units don't have as many options as other places.

Relations in border counties have all headed north to MFI and have got great deals compared to the Republic, even including delivery. I think they base delivery of the number of counties they have to cross though....

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Yop,

We were considdering the cream units also but have decided against them.
    If you go for the real painted ones (expensive) which look great you have to consider how much you use your kitchen. If you use it alot and have kids etc. that lovely cream painted finish is going to get alot of wear and tear fairly quickly. I think it would be alot of work to try and get that factory finished look back.

We also looked at the laminated option but they don't really look as good.

Just something to consider before you shell out for your dream Kithcen.

thanks for that lad, it is something to consider alright, I will approach the subject with herself (subject been the kitchen, not kids :p )
    Wobs wrote:
    Yop,

We were considdering the cream units also but have decided against them.
    If you go for the real painted ones (expensive) which look great you have to consider how much you use your kitchen. If you use it alot and have kids etc. that lovely cream painted finish is going to get alot of wear and tear fairly quickly. I think it would be alot of work to try and get that factory finished look back.

We also looked at the laminated option but they don't really look as good.

Just something to consider before you shell out for your dream Kithcen.

Wobs wrote:
    Yop,

. I think it would be alot of work to try and get that factory finished look back.

QUOTE]

Sure that would be no bother to Yop, he offered to spray my jallopy , with his new compressor and gravity feed gun. :D:D

kadman :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭steamboat

I was in Cash and Carry kitchens during the week. They had a cream coloured kitchen on display - looked good, if you like that colour. It had solid wood doors too. They are doing a 10% off deal on it at the moment (i.e. 10% cheaper than the same kitchen in a different wood).
    Take a look at http://www.cashandcarrykitchens.com/ - might give you an idea of whats on offer (can't see the cream kitchen there though)

Advertisement