Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostat Wiring?

Options
  • 11-04-2005 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

OK have got myself a new room thermostat for my central heating. The thermostat i am replacing is old Danfoss unit, with wiring marked 1 2 and 4. 4 has two wires on it. Now the question is on the new one there are three conections NO, NC, and COM. What wire goes where?
    Any ideas would be nice. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The one with two wires in it will wire into the com on the new unit.

You should only have one wire over from the old unit and that should wire into the NO.

COM = Common NO = normally open NC = normally closed

So the two wires that are together are permanently live and when the unit switches it gives the NO power thus turning what ever it controls on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

No offence Silver, but I'm not sure what you're on about, though at least this is right
    COM = Common NO = normally open NC = normally closed

dee mm

Feed your live wire supply into the COM connection.

Wire out from either the NC or NO but usually the NO - it's just a polarity issue. It's a bit like any switch, one way is on, one is off. And like any electrical switch all you're really doing is controlling the Live wire feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Right this is all good, but I do have two wires one marked 1 and the other 2 . So and this is where I am confused, which one goes where? If the two together are live (com) I am now left with two wires :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Probably the best and safest way to deal with this is to post a diagram,Then we can truly see whats what.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dee mm, if you can let us know what exactly the wires on the old unit were connected to...did the old unit actually have all 4 wires terminated?

As the lads say, you really should only have 2 wires to switch on your boiler. However the chances are its possible the 2 wires that are connected together, one of them is probably a live feed that is needed somewhere else in the house.

You will only need the COM & NO contacts on the new unit. Also, try get us the model type or number of the old one so we can have a look at its operation.

Just don't electrocute yourself...make sure your boiler is knocked off before you go messing around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Right had a look at this, the unit is a Danfoss, with three terminated conections, they are marked 1,2, and 4, (with two wires together terminated on 4.) So I appear to have an extra wire!

I'm begining to get a bit cold at night now so might give it a go this afternoon. :D

Advertisement