Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cure for Cancer

Options
  • 11-04-2005 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Scientists in Manchester say a cure for all types of cancer could be available on the NHS within five years.

The world's first patient trials in a technique which genetically engineers cells will take place at the city's Christie Hospital later this year.

The treatment - gene-modified t-cell therapy - could replace more intrusive treatments like chemotherapy.

The cells are fitted with a "tracker" device to kill cancer cells before being injected back into the patient.

Professor Robert Hawkins, clinical director of Medical oncology at the hospital, says the initial results of lab tests have been "spectacular".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4423847.stm

Interesting seem to have it nailed but then again how many false dawns in the treatment of Cancer have there been, hope it works altho may be too late for my father.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Exciting stuff alright but as I know someone myself who is quite Ill with cancer, big broad statements like "We can cure cancer in 5 years" shouldnt be shouted out like that. Hope this stuff does work and this brutal disease is consigned to the scrapheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

This may be of interest

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/1744.asp

Worth watching the video.

There is a doctor practicing this treatment here in Ireland, but I believe he is swamped with patients. PM me if you're interested in contacting him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement