Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bud Rising 2005

Options
  • 11-04-2005 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

So it seems things are starting to move along with Bud Rising again this year. Running this time from June 1st to June 7th. Which is good as they get in ahead of Oxegen this time! No more delays on the announcement of acts, like last year with King of Leon!

Bud Rising

From having a quick look at Ticketmaster, it seems the following shows have been confirmed:

Roots Manuva
    Stephen Fretwell
    The Departure, Editors
    The Duke Spirit, VHS or Beta
    The Magic Numbers, Joe Chester, Jessie & Layla
    Tom Vek
    Towers of London
    Whitey
    Beck
    British Sea Power, Sons & Daughters
    Buck 65, Jose Gonzalez
    Dizee Rascal, Black Twang & Daddy G
    Engineers
    Masters At Work
    Monoband

Also confimed is Weezer, which was mentioned in the Weezer post earlier. This seems to be the only show confirmed with a date and venue.

Already looking forward to this festival as much as I did last year!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frank Cronin

early riser: budrising new band comp
    Early Riser

This year’s BudRising festival takes place in Dublin from June 1 to June 7. Throughout the week, there will be a variety of established and not-so-established international acts playing – with up to 11 gigs a night across 23 venues.

As part of the festival, new Irish bands can get a chance to play on a number of stages – from outdoor shows to high-profile support slots – by entering the EarlyRiser new band competition.

To enter, simply send a CD with no more than four original songs plus a brief biog to EarlyRiser, PO Box 7808, Dublin 2 before Thursday May 10. Selections will be made by a panel of industry figures and winners will be notified by May 20.

How do I enter?
    Send a CD with three original tracks to the address below. No covers! Please include a short biography and a photo if you want. Correct contact details (mobile, landline and e-mail) are also necessary. All entrants must be available to play between June 1 2005 and June 7 2005 inclusive.

Where do I send it to?
    EarlyRiser,
    PO Box 7808
    Dublin 2.

To ensure you CD arrives safe and sound, please send it in a padded envelope. Please note: CDs cannot be returned.

When is the closing date?
    May 10, 2005.

Who are the judges?
    A panel of music industry figures will make the decision – and their decision is final!

How will I know if I’m a winner?
    All entrants will be notified regardless of whether they are winners or not. Winners will be announced on the BudRising website and in national media. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Beck is playing the Olympia on the 6th June, the one day of the whole year that I can't possibly go.

gutted myself, but everyone should check it out if they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Does anyone know when tickets go on sale for these gigs ? Beck for example?

davej

Thanks Karl. :mad:

Like I'll be able to get a ticket now.

Want to tell everyone about us too? :p

not just yet honey :)

don't worry, its not gonna be a 1 hour sell out gig.

i'm so fcuking annoyed about the whole thing i don't want anyone to be able to go.

think i'll have to kill beck.......or kill everyone. if i cant see him.....

i'll decide which after work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rock angel

Jesus, I cant go either. Think there a jinx here or what?

Would love to go, the new album is really growing on me.

Shame. Maybe he could play another night that suits all here?

he'll be hobbled 'Misery style', playing a gig just for me in my flat if you want to come along the week after?

i'll be starving him too as punsihment for this though, so better make it wednesday 8th just in case he doesn't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rock angel

Karl am loving your work.....

will you be taking a hammer to his legs ???? and feeding him drugs? as well as starving him.

Maybe we could make the gig in your flat the 10th that suits better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Roots Manuva should be good. Also around that time Matthew Herbert Big Band is playing in Vicar St, that could be part of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Looks like we can add

Echo & The Bunnymen
    The La's (formally Cast who were formally The La's!!)
    British Sea Power, Sons & Daughters

Things seem to be added by the day now! Personally cant wait for Beck, great new album and havent seen him in years! But Im sure theres more to come. Wonder if they will have any of the acts playing in the London Bud Rising playing at the Dublin one?! That means we have another Charlatans Bud Rising gig with a Supergrass gig! Nice one!

• Advertisement

Can ALSO add in the past hour:

Jimmy Cliff
    Justin Robertson & Medicine8
    Matthew Herbert Big Band
    The Chalets,Therakes,Art Brut
    The Hives

Just keeps gettin better! The Hives and The Chalets! Already theres not enough days in the week!

The HIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

excuse if i'm wrong but with beck and weezer confirmed shouldn't this festival type show thing be called bud legends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 foxxrok

davej wrote:
    Does anyone know when tickets go on sale for these gigs ? Beck for example?

davej

tomorrow morning(wednesday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Excellent, picked up my tickets for Beck 20 minutes ago. Should be good.

davej

€35 for Roots Manvua. ****. That.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weezer sold out already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Roots show is bit pricey alirght, though in fairness to him for the last Ambassador show a few years ago he had the full live set up with string section, the whole lot. That was a really good night thinkin' back, had forgotten about it...

Yeah but 35 is really putting him in a price bracket where he doesn't really belong. I'd probably pay 25 max for him (which I believe is what it was the last time).

Im sure this is all to do with mcd getting in on this festival this year. If you look at all the gigs that mcd are managing, a lot of them are overpriced, especially compared to last year. Most I spent on a ticket last year was 30 and that was for Kings of Leon in TBMC!

MCD are a pack of thievin bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

MCD booked a lot of the gigs last year as well - it's different venues, promoters etc under the one Bud Rising umbrella. All the prices are up this year. I think Bud must have subsidised the prices last year but haven't done it to the same extent this year.

Well I know MCD were unhappy about how Bud Rising was run last year, regarding the venues chosen for some of the bigger acts. Looks like they got what they wanted!

As someone pointed out, the last time Roots was over here it was 19 euro. This is just ridiculous.

Echo & the bunnymen added as well.

Advertisement