Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing peoples homework.

Options
  • 25-08-2001 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Interesting, I'd say it picks out some long phrases and tries it on a few search engines, maybe? All I could think of at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

Someone, I don't remember who, made an application like that as there final year project for Computer Applications in DCU. I think DCU purchased (or just kept!) it and now use it. I'm thinking this would have all taken place about 3 years ago.

I don't recall any more details but I could probably find out if you are really interested.

OT: I just found this and it is pretty funny so I thought I'd include the URL:
    http://128.241.244.96/portal/uploads/27000/27549_winrg.swf

Alis

[This message has been edited by Alis (edited 25-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Hehe. Very nice Alis =D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm just curious.

Here in the US a lot of schools have already copped onto the fact that thier students can download full source code answers/ stories/ research and submit it as thier own work.

I recall some of the collages have some kind of program which is able to scan your work and determine if it's stolen or copied. Does Ireland do something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

That is the funniest stuff I've seen all week. Somebody give this person some + karma.

It is soooo typically MS.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

phobos wrote:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">That is the funniest stuff I've seen all week. Somebody give this person some + karma.</font>

Me thinks if I get any Karma it will be - rather than +, this is only my 16th post and I've already been told off for bringing topics OT smile.gif I didn't think the link was funny enough to warrant a new thread in humour, if you do go post it there smile.gif

In the meantime I'm bringing this back on topic with a link to a review of electronic services for plagiarism detection in student submissions:

http://www.ics.ltsn.ac.uk/pub/conf2000/Papers/culwin.htm

[This message has been edited by Alis (edited 26-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alis:
    In the meantime I'm bringing this back on topic with a link to a review of electronic services for plagiarism detection in student submissions:</font>

Nice link!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well they tell us all the time in college that they have 'ways' of finding out if the work is plagiarized... but i leave most of my assignments till the day b4 n end up handin up a loada crap i'v either copied from the net or a book, they haven't caught me yet biggrin.gif

Although they did catch some ppl although knowing these ppl they probably left in some link or other indication that they got it off the net... i can think of 3 cases off hand when that happened, either they left something like "if u look at fig1.1" n never put in the picture or others who have left a bit on the end sayin copy right etc. etc.

If u'v enough 'cop on' not to make stupid mistakes like these u'll usually get away with it! wink.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shimoda

The usual stuff they run on them does a basic check on variable names for a start, If you're dumb enough not to change them then you deserve to get caught.

Next it compiles the stuff and checks the size of the binaries, if you just renamed the variables without changing logical structure they will probably be identical.

Shimoda

[This message has been edited by shimoda (edited 30-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Many lecturers in UCC check for plagiarism and many students have been caught. A plagiarism checker was also a final year project in Comp Sci.

Advertisement