Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** or elbow? i dont know!

Options
  • 20-08-2001 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

im etc in its and am studying java. i have six months done and i am currently on work xp which requires me to do a total of 0.000 java. to prevent myself from getting rusty and having to no-doubt start all over again, i would like to do some basic on-line tutorials. honestly, i wouldnt know my **** from my elbow in the java world but what i have seen/done i quite enjoy. could anyone please recommend some effective tutorials that i could maybe part take of while working?

thnx

j

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shimoda

Download bruce eckels "Thinking in java" from www.eckelobjects.com. Java.sun.com has great tutorials, but you're better off setting yourself a project, like write a chat server or something to get you working at something.

Shimoda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Hi,

I agree with shimoda when he says it is a good idea to ponder up some project for learning purposes. But this isn't always easy when you clearly stated you don't know your **** from your elbow.

If you are doing anything in Java @ all I recommend you hit the source of the language (Sun Microsystems). Now Sun's Java branch (java.sun.com) is huge, covering everything in the J2SE/EE/ME catagories. But track down the Beginners guide to Java "Tutorial" on the site. It's a great learning resource. If you have the cash I recommend you get a book. I find that Sams books cover new concepts very nicely, and will give you a good foundation from which you can take any path of progress thereafter. Books like Teach Yourself Java 2 in 21 Days won't go astray!.

I am currently a very active member of the Irish Java Users Group, and had a meeting with the Main Man cool.gif behind the initiative in Dublin today. There is plans for a newbie section in the group. So for anybody that is interested in learning the language it will be a good place to go. @ this stage it's still @ a premature phase, and myself and others are still pondering ideas for it. But activity should really pickup after its official launch in about a months time.

If you have any specific questions, you are welcome to mail me @ any time.

Take care,
    ;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

"scratch an itch"

Think of something that will help save time in work. It doesn't have to be a major project or anything.

Actually I recommend don't doing anything major if your new. You will bore yourself and scrap. Or break it up into smaller sub-projects so when you have one complete you can work on the next bit.

When it's finished and working and proves to save time show your manager. I would recommend doing it on your spare time or at least not advertise it until you have something to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Follow this link. No real tutorials, but all the basics of java and OOP

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

thnx for the feedback. well helpful

j

• Advertisement
Advertisement