Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a place to go...

Options
  • 10-04-2005 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty lonely and anti-social right now, working at Dell would do that. College doesn't offer a huge amount, most of the interesting people I've seen going around don't go to UL.

I'm a gothy rockery person (of the proper goth variety mines - as in Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and Bauhaus type bands, not a Mansonite :P) who's into a variety of genres from Gothic Rock(obviously) to Metal.

There used to be Elmo's Attic in Ennis, that i still go to at weekends (I live in Clare when I'm not at college/co-op work). That was alright for a while.

So if anyone knows any half decent place for me to get out, meet friends, preferably VERY open minded as I have certain odd aspects to me I'd rather keep private right now, please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have been in a bar called The High Stool at the top of Catherine Street, have noticed quite a good few rockers/gothic people in there. They tend to play this type of music in there also and sometimes have a live band on stage. It is a very nice bar and then there is a Termites night club which is in the Globe nightclub every Friday or Saturday night I think. The Globe is located on upper Cecil Street overhead the strip club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

bazz26 wrote:
    I have been in a bar called The High Stool at the top of Catherine Street, have noticed quite a good few rockers/gothic people in there. They tend to play this type of music in there also and sometimes have a live band on stage. It is a very nice bar and then there is a Termites night club which is in the Globe nightclub every Friday or Saturday night I think. The Globe is located on upper Cecil Street overhead the strip club.

I'm not familiar with street names in Limerick, where is Catherine Street? Any shops or anything there I might remember?

I'm a little shy, which do you think would be better for me to just go up and talk to someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Well the High Stool closed last friday!
    Sorry.
    At the moment in Limerick you have two choices really.
    Costelloes, and Termites.
    The problem with costelloes, is that it's a very studenty place to go out!
    The problem with Termites, is that it's full of all the little Goppets (Goth Muppets), that Rozie pointed out.
    Good news is at hand though!
    I should be running a night in Termites in a few weeks.
    It's only going to be one Saterday a month at first, but it's going to be Ye Olde Termites!
    Proper music, from the 70's, 80's, and 90's!
    No Goppets welcome!!! :D
    I'll post more details when I can, or just call into the Comic Shop on lower Gerald-Griffen street.

Well the High Stool closed last friday!
    Sorry.
    At the moment in Limerick you have two choices really.
    Costelloes, and Termites.
    The problem with costelloes, is that it's a very studenty place to go out!
    The problem with Termites, is that it's full of all the little Goppets (Goth Muppets), that Rozie pointed out.
    Good news is at hand though!
    I should be running a night in Termites in a few weeks.
    It's only going to be one Saterday a month at first, but it's going to be Ye Olde Termites!
    Proper music, from the 70's, 80's, and 90's!
    No Goppets welcome!!! :D
    I'll post more details when I can, or just call into the Comic Shop on lower Gerald-Griffen street.

Wait, you work there? I go there at least once a week.

Is it really full of mansonites though, or is it just a few?

I can't believe the High School closed. Everything for teens to early twenties seems to have closed down, or is closing down, or is a pile of crap. Ireland really wants to kill off it's youth. Treats them like absolute ****. And they wonder why they turn to drugs and crime.

I'll almost definitely be along for that. Do you do requests? I'd like some Switchblade Symhpony please :)

What night is Termites on?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

is the high stool gone for good or just refurbishment or what?

EDIT:

from their website so elequently put
    The Stool gets F**ked again! Due to some messy Legal **** with the powers that be the Stool will be closed for this weekend....

• Advertisement

Rozie wrote:
    QUOTE]

I'm the hung over guy trying not to fall asleep (again!!!), behind the counter!
    Termites used to be fairly ****ing cool about 5 years ago, but when the new breed of Goppets moved in, ahh well, that's history I suppose.
    Termites is on every Friday, and Saturday night (It's open for the rest of the week aswell, but is usually dead).
    I'll be having more of an old school night, if you will, once a month, starting in a few weeks.
    Like I said, I'll post anymore details that I get here.

About the High Stool closeing, the way I hear it, they're just putting off the inevitable, and even if they do open again after the weekend, it'll only be for a few more months, at the most!

Rozie wrote:
    QUOTE]

I'm the hung over guy trying not to fall asleep (again!!!), behind the counter!
    Termites used to be fairly ****ing cool about 5 years ago, but when the new breed of Goppets moved in, ahh well, that's history I suppose.
    Termites is on every Friday, and Saturday night (It's open for the rest of the week aswell, but is usually dead).
    I'll be having more of an old school night, if you will, once a month, starting in a few weeks.
    Like I said, I'll post anymore details that I get here.

About the High Stool closeing, the way I hear it, they're just putting off the inevitable, and even if they do open again after the weekend, it'll only be for a few more months, at the most!

What are the chances of bumping into a half decent interesting person in Termites? Pretty low? Hopefully there will be more after you do your spot.

Rozie wrote:

What are the chances of bumping into a half decent interesting person in Termites? Pretty low? Hopefully there will be more after you do your spot.

Hey!
    I go to Termites ocasionally!
    Are you saying that I'm neither half decent, or interesting?!!!
    :D

Rozie wrote:

Hey!
    I go to Termites ocasionally!
    Are you saying that I'm neither half decent, or interesting?!!!
    :D

Well, I mean apart from you then XD I can't remember which one of the guys you are so until I do, I don't know you IRL :P

I run the comic shop, so I'm the guy usually behind the counter.
    Tall with brown hair!

• Advertisement

I run the comic shop, so I'm the guy usually behind the counter.
    Tall with brown hair!

What ever happened to Giz, out of interest?

Ahhhhh!
    All I can say is that Giz doesn't work there anymore!
    It's not my place really!
    He's still in all the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I was going to mention the High Stool as well, although i have heard it was supposed to be closing, Costello's and Quinns aren't bad places to go, other than that most other places in Limerick are decidedly Jockish (icon, smyths, sin bin....). I'm also partial to the Scholars in UL.

Other than that, try joining some societies in UL, music or radio, or whatever they have these days, they're usually just an excuse to go drinking.

Just heard that the High Stool has been sold, and when it re-opens, it's gonna be another(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) jock bar!
    Just thought I'd let ye know.

http://www.thehighstool.ie/newsStoryFull.php?id=80

where did you hear about it becoming a jock bar.. it will be just another kip with dopey bouncers on the door now i guess.

Just heard that the High Stool has been sold, and when it re-opens, it's gonna be another(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) jock bar!
    Just thought I'd let ye know.

http://www.thehighstool.ie/newsStoryFull.php?id=80

where did you hear about it becoming a jock bar.. it will be just another kip with dopey bouncers on the door now i guess.

****ing hell. Does limerick need another ****hole? For ****s sake.

The new owner, is supposed to want tie it in with The Bank bar around the corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Our Minister for Defence might make an appearance there so. :o

Advertisement