Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java exam problem

• 14-08-2001 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is doing programming at college and he has recently finished his first year, but as fate would have it he failed his Java exam and has to do a re-sit come september.

Now he was reasonably new to computers when he started college but since has bought himself a nice machine and is doing his damndest to get into second year. His problem is this re-sit. He lives near me in Cavan and was asking if i knew anyway he could get grinds or help of any sort in Java because hes finding it very difficult and i myself know nothing about it so i can't help him...just wondering if ye have any suggestions as to how he could brush up on it?...or even better again is there anywhere or anyone he can get grinds off of? don't matter how far away as long as its within Ireland all suggestions would be appreciated

thanx

Farls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

If you can get me a list of topics or even the summer paper, I don't mind giving help where I can.

I can assume since he is first year, they covered the whole Object Oriented spiel. But then again that could have been on another exam. So I suppose it is crucial that I get all info regarding what he should know for the repeat exam.

I am down in Galway, so I won't be having any close contact, simply online interaction. I can assume that the exam is within the next 3 weeks, yeah?. If you want you can get back to me by mail. Coz there is little time left.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Tell him to take a look at http://developer.java.sun.com
    There's loads of tutorials, code samples, articles and a forum for every part of Java.
    Good resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Cheers Enygma, but I don't think it's a good idea putting dishing out URLs @ this stage. His exam is coming up shortly so what we should focus on now is:

1] Find out exactly what he needs to know
    2] Explain just enough for him to understand the topics

There is sooooo much stuff on the internet that will be irrelavant to his exam. So the quicker ppl get back to me with the topic info, the quicker we can start revision.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I endorse this product and/or service.

Lads, listen to Phobos, he knows what he's talking about, and in first year exams you *really* don't want to be mucking about looking for help on the Sun websites (the problem is, there's far too *much* info there).

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

cheers everyone esp. phobos

I'm trying to get in contact with this lad now and i'll find out the excact details, i'll post back here later if help is needed

thx

Farls

go here:
    gahu.ucd.ie/~fred/courses/cs1-2000/
    It's the homepage of my java lecturer this year, and contains pretty much the entire 1st year UCD java course, including practicals, which would be handy for grinding your mate in the days coming up to the exam. It wasn't working tonight when I checked it though, he might be having probs with code red or sumfink, so don't give up on it easily!! tongue.gif

Lisa: I'm opposed to...uhh...proposition...304
    Kent Brockman: You're against discount buspasses for War Widows?
    Lisa: eh...You're damn right I am!
    (Later)
    Lisa(on tv): I was supposed to talk to about propostion 304...
    Homer(At home, fist clenched): Moochin' War widows!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They aren't the actual exam papers are they?

No, not in that link but I can get the past 4 years exams if you ask nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

sorry for taking so long, got the Leaving Cert. results and been partying till now..lol

phobo's i sent this lad your email address and he'll probably be in touch with you his exams are 2 weeks away i think.

that UCD lecturers site is class also

cheers lads

Farls