Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS SDK for Java

Options
  • 09-08-2001 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know of an SMS Java SDK I can download that will let me develop software that can send text messages to Irish mobile phones. So far I've only managed to get ones that will only work in the States. Something like what Esat Fusion have, is what I'm looking for. I know they exist, but it's just a matter of finding one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phobos:
    Does anyone know of an SMS Java SDK I can download that will let me develop software that can send text messages to Irish mobile phones.</font>

http://www4.ewebcity.com/****/main/search.asp?search=java+%2Bsms
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MiCr0:
    sms as in short msg service or network admin sms's?</font>

Why, can you "send text messages to Irish mobile phones" with "network admin sms's"? tongue.gif

"Just because I'm evil doesn't mean I'm not nice." - Charlie Fulton

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

yep
    you can actually :P

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MiCr0:
    yep
    you can actually :P
    </font>

Well, interesting... live 'n learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I already downloaded the Simplewire stuff for Java, and also the ActiveX for windows based platforms, before I posted my original message.

But the problem with this is that I cannot send SMS to an Irish mobile with these systems.

Any alternatives, or anyone know how I could get this system to work with Irish networks. It is for a FY project that I want to be able to distribute info via SMS.

Oh yeah, by SMS I obviously mean Short Message Service.

Thanx,

;-phobos-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

sms as in short msg service or network admin sms's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

would you not need such a service setup by one of the irish telcos?
    do i have this wrong? - your code could only construct an SMS (an arrangement of strings) and then fire it off to their server.

If it's for a FY proj then they might be more willing to share => iff you build somthing they are interested in. smile.gif
    keep here posted - i did an SMS generation proj a while back, but all it did was simulate the 'higher up' phone networks so i'd be innarested

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Don't know about a java thingy but we;ve just installed a system called Xiam that sends text messages to your phone... for example I can have the event log send me alerts if a service fails or have Norton's send me a message if a virus is found etc.

Thing is, it's damn expensive... 10p to send a message to run a query and 10p for the server to answer you. If it's a long result, this can go up to about 5 messages (that's the largest I've received). Doesn't sound like much but it all adds up.

A cheaper alternative? I'd be well on for that smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phobos:
    Any alternatives, or anyone know how I could get this system to work with Irish networks. It is for a FY project that I want to be able to distribute info via SMS.</font>
    Contact Go2Mobile, explain to them that it's a final year project and that you'll fail otherwise wink.gif and they may give you a limited number of SMS-s. Then all you have to do is connect via HTTP or SMTP.

Alternatively, you could connect a nokia to your PC/Server (can't remember the name of the cable) and hit it with the following commands (using java.net):
    AT+CMGF=1
    AT+CMGS= "+353868555555",129
    your msg goes here...

I'll have to dbl check that code though, later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Could you make something that'll post the message through http://iol.quios.com

That has been tried several times before, but I don't know anyone who suceeded. It sounds simple:

Root through there code to find the server side script and then create you own HTML form that passes the correct parameters to it, and volla.

Would have been nice if it twas that simple. But I think they have recenty boosted security because ppl were trying to that and also ppl were dumping their cookies when the 10 msg limit was up, and getting a fresh restart. Damnit they're on to us...LOL biggrin.gif

;-phobos-)
    PS: Also because it's a FY project and not some sideline thing, I want to keep everything above board. But I like the way you're thinking nevertheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

an issue with routing thru a site is stopping it tends to be the easist thing going...referring url is easy to check altho i believe its a http header sent by the browser so quite lightly from a program you would have a work around by sending it the header it would see normally

Serial,

This is true, but when I go looking for a job after my degree, I can't very well tell that I wrote some software that wripped off Esat SMS system. How tempting that sounds, my software will have to wearing a 3 piece suit when I demo it.

Again I like the way you are thinking. But it scares me to think that you would go as far as writing your own app to send correct HTTP headers to their server. eek.gif . You remind me of someone I know very well.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you wanna be really resourceful (and impressive) try and send the msg directly to one of Eircell's SMS servers. Course you need know the headers to send. You'll need the IP address too, but that's obtainable by certain individuals wink.gif

That's similar to what we were talking about already seamus!. And furthermore if you take the word Eircell and replace it with Esat, that would be exactly what I we were taking about.

We have enough info to take a good stab @ the Esat servers, but I want to keep this clean, coz I don't think the examiners will take to kindly to a hacking b@stard.

;-phobos-)

K,

I was speaking with an Engineer from Esat today. I told him what I would like to achieve in my project (well the part that would involve them anyway). But I didn't seem to get very far because he said he didn't have the authority to grant me such access to their systems. But he was well able to tell me how much it would cost for me to start my own system.

Apart from that he was quite helpful, but I still think I would need to talk with one of his superiors before I get some real resutls. That is being arranged as you read this.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I had a php script running on our college netsoc server that let you input a message and mobile phone number via a web form, it would then combine the mobile number string with '@esms.nu' and then toss the lot to sendmail using php's mail() function.

Unfortunatly it was stopped after about 3 messages smile.gif

Although I do know someone who has successfully written a servlet that uses esms.nu and generates random email addresses to pass to it.

Thanx Hectate I have it all figured out now!

;-phobos-)

Advertisement