Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE's for java

Options
  • 08-08-2001 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    I think that this was asked before.. not sure. Just curious as to what people use for their java development. Specificaly servlets, jsp and what sort of support they have for xml.

I have jbuilder, used it a bit, but tis slow.. What's the microsoft one, visual j++ ? I do't know if i want to use that if it sticks the microsoft proprietary crap on it.

Come across www.netbeans.co as well. Looks interesting, haven't tried it yet though.

Any others good ones ?

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JBuilder3 I've found is about the best, yeah it's slow, but performance is fast enough with 450Mhz + 512MB, although if your machine is tweaked enough, you can get away with 128MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

If all you're going to need it for is Servlets JSPS and XML then take a look at Allaire Homesite.
    A pure Java IDE like JBuilder or Visual J++ is probably a bit overkill.
    Netbeans isn't bad but it can be kinda slow unless you've got a langerload of RAM. I'd go with Homesite.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually I'm looking for one for Linux.

I'm using JEXT, which really isn't an IDE. I've also tried VisualAge is excellent but only works on older versions of Java.

Borland have one, but won't let me download it. frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Been using Emacs/JDE for a good while now.
    Take a look if you're into it.
    http://jde.sunsite.dk/

[edit]
    What about Forte/Netbeans?
    [/edit]

[This message has been edited by Enygma (edited 08-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Actually I'm looking for one for Linux.
    </font>

You could try plugging into KDevelop, can't that be done? Afaik it's ok, although I've only used it for C, I did see docs about Java.

I'm using JEXT, which really isn't an IDE. I've also tried VisualAge is excellent but only works on older versions of Java.
    </font>

Sure, pop in next door to IBM and tell them to upgrade it! Don't you have access to their alpha stuff?

Borland have one, but won't let me download it. frown.gif
    </font>

Mail PC Plus smile.gif

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

forte -- ide developed by sun

http://www.sun.com/forte/ffj/buy.html

(despite teh url it is free)

c22

>Don't you have access to their alpha stuff?

Ahh if only that were true smile.gif Yea I could get to it, just a lot of hassle to.

Forte is the one I was talking about that I Couldn't download despite it saying it's free.

Emacs.. *Brrrr* smile.gif I'll try to see if I can get KDevelop to work first.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

I use VisualCafe, it crashes a lot, and eats resources like a pig, (can you slow down a PIII with 256MB of RAM enough that notepad actually takes several seconds to load? VisualCafe can.) but it's debugger/profiler is very nifty.

I use it all the time in work, but I wouldn't buy it myself.

Finally got Forte (by putting fake information in, go figure).

Pretty sweet.

As for VAJ, I checked up and the latest version is for windows only. frown.gif I already have the latest version for Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Did you look at KDevelop at all? I'd love to know how you got on if so, I'll be hopefully using that in a couple of weeks.

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I use a combo of JBuilder4, Textpad, XML-Spy, Silverstream (work uses it), double-sided sticky-tape, and magic markers.

I prefer JBuilder 4 to VisualAge and the others, but for no other reason than I think the IDE is laid out a bit better.

For XML, there is nothing to touch XMLSpy, IMHO. Pity its payware.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shimoda

Kawa is the business, another Allaire product, and nice and cheap too.

Shimoda

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trojan:
    Did you look at KDevelop at all? I'd love to know how you got on if so, I'll be hopefully using that in a couple of weeks.

Al.
    </font>

Looks nice but I think it's is only for C++, Java won't compile.

Still think Forte is great. However I miss the way you can just draw your application as a flowchart like in VAJ. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've just downloaded forte, previously I've used Visual Cafe (until I lost that job) which was good, JBuilder and for XML there can only be XMLSpy.

Ok, Forte with CVS is excellent. Works like a dream and I can check in and commit, diff, etc all within the Forte UI.

[added]

Also what's cool is the debugger. I Set a breakpoint then as I move my mouse over the code the variables highlight thier contents in tooltip help. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 14-08-2001).]

Advertisement