Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jpg. Problem

Options
  • 11-08-2001 2:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Awhile back I installed photoshop.(I think) Well anyway I didnt really like it that much-and I already had an adobe program of a similar function so when I decided to clean up some space-I decided it had to go.

However-when i installed it it changed all the jpg. files to its own type. Basically-a picture of something contained in the Internet Explorer page would now be opened by this program. I didnt ask it to do this(I may not have know what I was doing)

Now that this program is gone-all former "weird ****ed up pics" are opened by MS paint. When I try saving any pic as a jpg-it is still opened by MS paint.

How can I get back to the old Internet Explorer or Netscape format?

Thank you

(If you need me to be more specific I'll do my best biggrin.gif)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Easy peasy. (although I can't imagine why anyone would uninstall such a brilliant application.)

If you use Win2000, right click a file and select "Open with..."

If you're using something earlier, open a directory like C:\ in explorer (file explorer, not IE) and go to the Tools menu, Folder Options, select the File Types tab, find the broken file type in the list, delete it. Close the dialog box, double click the file, and the Open With... dialog will appear, allowing you to select your favourite application to open it.

Seriously though, Photoshop is really outstanding, beats the pants offa *anything* else. Might take a bit of learning though, I learned the basics at work and became better at home.

What are you using instead, Adobe PhotoDeluxe? *snigger*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sorry to sound ungrateful-but it wasnt even remotely helpful. I'll figure it out myself thanks anyway I appreciate it.

Aug

ps-I only use Adobe for making kewl pics-nothing very serious so it doesnt matter to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Oh... Uhm.

Ah, yeah I re-read that a few times and it makes sense, but I don't really know what on earth it's up to...

So what you're saying is the .jpg file type is associated with mspaint? *scratches head*

Did you uninstall photoshop properly, or just delete it's install directory? You could try reinstalling and uninstalling, OR, reinstall it, but watch for the part where it messes with the files, and try to tell it to do otherwise.

Sorry I'm not more useful. smile.gif Probably could do more with more information.

Good morning. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I know in Win98SE if a file is not associated with the correct program all you have to do (similar to 2k) is hold shift and right click on an instance of the file type in explorer, select "Open With", and select the program you want to open those files with. Make sure you check the box that says "Always open with this program" (or something to that extent anyway).

If that doesn't work, giz some more info, and we'll have another go.

;-phobos-)
    PS: Phaxx don't go falling asleep, ya lightweight!, it's still early yet for us tech headz. LOL wink.gif

[This message has been edited by phobos (edited 11-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

I had a simialr problem with gif files that i wont go into, however type renaming , thats right just renaming them as full jpeg and see if that will do it if not try running the uninstall prog from photo shop and that might get rid of the rather annoying problem. btw DONW WITH MS EVERYTHING!!!!! mad.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Im confused smile.gif

Open explorer (not IE) go into folder options, select file types and look for the JPG file type and edit or change it (depending on OS). Point it to the correct program you want to open it and save it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Still no joy- frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shimoda

If you're using 95/98/ME hold down the left shift and left ctrl key and right click the file. Choose "open with" and then select Adobe or whatever you want to open it with.
    Check "Always use this program to open this type of file".

Should do the trick.

Shimoda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

you talking bout ie's content handler? or standalone running the image?

Advertisement