Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Bupa Run

Options
  • 09-04-2005 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi,
    I know the Great Bupa run isnt very well recieved in Ireland, but anyone who was out there today would have been surprised. I'd say there was about 5K ppl. out of 5K ppl only 190 or so broke 40 mins. All in I enjoyed the race 2nd year running. I said I wouldnt do it again, but there is something about the race that makes me think twice.

What do others make of it. And something I was wondering, what is the reception of these Great run races in the UK? Are they recieved the same way they are in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Did it this morning aswell - great run indeed - really enjoyed - second time doing it and broke my last time so happy with that.

In the UK there are 20 + runs each year. I think we need more fun runs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm signed up to receive the updates etc. via e-mail. Never took part though, mostly because I don't feel my level of fitness is good enough.

There has been greater media coverage and advertising for the BUPA runs this year though than at previous times. Maybe it's an indicaiton of changing attitudes towards it.

I like that it encourages fun runners and families to participate. This is something that I feel other sporting events/bodies need to look at. Participation in physical activity is something that needs to be addressed in this country and as long as the BUPA runs are doing that then I think it's a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Any results from it? Didn't do it myself due to injury

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Sonia O'Sullivan proved she is in good shape for the Flora London Marathon after finishing second behind Amy Rudolph in Saturday's Great BUPA Ireland Run in Dublin.

The pair fought a fierce neck-and-neck battle over the final 600 metres of the 10-kilometre road race in Phoenix Park, before the American edged ahead to win by two seconds.

Rudolph - who is marrying Mark Carroll, Ireland's 5,000 and 10,000-metre record holder, in October - won the thriller in a fast 32 minutes, 16 seconds.

"I knew I was in good shape after finishing third in the USA 8km Championships a fortnight ago," said Rudolph after lowering O'Sullivan's 2003 course record by eight seconds.

She added:"I felt really strong but when Sonia made the break at 600m, I was hanging in and at one point thought she had me."

O'Sullivan, who since January has been specifically preparing for next Sunday's London Marathon, felt her legs buckling when Rudolph produced what proved to be a final winning burst of speed.

Despite the defeat, O'Sullivan was delighted she had put up such a strong competitive performance with so many marathon training miles in her legs.

"That was a really hard run, just what I wanted against the best-ever field here and with a kilometre left, any one of three of us could have won it," said O'Sullivan.

Approaching the lengthy finishing straight, O'Sullivan and Rudolph were being strongly pressed for the title by US-born Jolene Byrne.

But the Irish cross country champion fell away when O'Sullivan accelerated with the finishing gantry in sight, although she took third place in a creditable 32mins 21secs.

O'Sullivan who returned from training in Melbourne last Sunday, insisted her performance surpassed her expectations.

The former Olympic 5000m silver medallist said: "Not many marathon runners at this stage of their preparations will have produced a time as fast as that.

"I probably hit the front a little earlier than I should have done and really, I wanted to wait nearer to the finish.

"But I could feel the pair of them breathing on my neck, so I went. It really was a competitive race and I'm pleased it went so close to the wire.

"I'm happy with the result and there's no aches or pains, so I've finished the race in a healthy condition."

The medal winners had Charlotte Dale, who faded to fourth in 33:15, to thank for the fast early pace which split the field including European cross country champion Hayley Yelling, who placed sixth at 34:06.

O'Sullivan's training partner Craig Mottram scored a third successive win well clear of the field in the men's race - but admitted Chris Davies gave him a fright.

The Telford postman was back in serious action after last July falling off his bike and sustaining what was thought at first to be broken back.

"I was surprised he was with me at 5km and I didn't know who he was," said Mottram.

"But I finally dropped him a couple of kilometres later."

Mottram's injection of pace saw him win in 28:35 - just nine seconds shy of his course record - with Davies showing he is rehabilitated from his injury, clocking a respectable 29:07.

There was a close battle for third place when Mark Miles surprised John Mayock by out-sprinting last month's European indoor 3000m silver-medallist.

"I couldn't believe it when he flew away from me," admitted Mayock whose time of 29:26 was two seconds slower than his English rival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I know the Great Bupa run isnt very well recieved in Ireland
    Really? According to RTE's coverage (and other stuff I read), the number of entrants doubled this year!

I ran, my second year. Knowing the course (and that b'stard hill from Chapelizod to Ordance Survey offices) was helpful. Bit nippy but I found that warm-up before the race quite helpful. And I saw myself twice on TV this year (only once last year).

I beat my previous time by a few mins (helped by lining up close to the start line, so I could get into running almost immediately, instead of a slow jog for the first 1km).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I meant by not well recieved, by not being wel recieved in the irish athletics world . I know there is ill feeling toward DCH and that seemed to be one of the issues. For example out of 5,000 entries 150 broke 40 minutes. There were very few faces I knew from the crowd yesterday.

Of the people I speak to in athletics, include nearly everyone at the road relays last week, none of them would be supporting this race. one of the points given to me was this,

No Vets Prizes,
    No Team Prizes,
    No Junior Prizes.

The catergorys that make up the major reason for big entries in road races in Ireland do not exist in this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

From what I can tell though, the aim of the BUPA runs is to promote physical activity amongst all ages rather than have it as a major competitive thing.

People are less likely to go out there and run it if they feel they'll be surrounded by big names who are going to romp home and make them look foolish.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

They get a few pretty heavyweight names in for something that's not supposed to be so competitive. Is it not supposed to be a counterpart to the great north run in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

I like big fun runs so I enjoyed it too - though Bertie was in pretty sour mood when pulling the starter gun.

What's the story with the "County" times - was there not some token prize for the fastest in each county? They should have saved money on the fancy medals and spent it on more prizes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Anyone find their photo on http://www.asiorders.com/go.asp?4421807 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Yeah, I got an email on Saturday with a thumbnail pic of me. The site had a slightly larger one (256x384, 29k).
    The prices are bloody expensive.

There is a large 'lost & found' section where you might find yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

There are clubs throughout Ireland giving runners the oppotunity to take part in runs all year round and they charge considerably less to participants than the BUPA run.The truth is that the grass roots dont offer themselves up to be fleeced by corporate greed.Meet and Train races,hill running etc also encourage"participation"
    Most local club race especially in rural areas have top class changing facilities refreshments and apart from category prizes give generous spot prizes or goody bags.So now its up to clubs to sell their better product to those naive "newcomers" who pay BUPA a greenfee rate of entry for a run in the park. Wise Up lads and lassies.
    Support Fingallians,Dunshaughlin,Naas,Rathowen,Na Fianna and all the other excellent road races taking place within 40 miles of Dublin over the summer months.

Advertisement