Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS to drop support for Java

Options
  • 18-07-2001 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

read it on my Palm7. Apprantly MS are dropping support for Java on all further platforms.

I see this as a good thing as..

(1) The software is free, and sun a better job at Java then MS will.

(2) The download won't be an issue.

Now from the press article I read MS were making it out to "Java is dead" and that you should all stop using it like good little consumers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's because they want to concentrate on C# for .NET, innit?

.NET! Pah!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

spoilt child breaks toy.

still, you have to admire the audacity - do they compete in any markets where they don't try and crowd out the competition ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Gotta love the FUD that's coming out.

If you have Java on your webpage your page will be dead! when a user goes to view it.

(Like downloading a JVM is hard).

Johhny newbie will have to download a 6MB file to play a java game online!

(only once)

You should use MS products instead of Java!

(LOL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

At this stage this should have a minimal effect on the use of Java as it will only realistically affect client side Java, i.e. applets.

Since the introduction of DHTML, the use of applets has been plummeting and the vast majority of Java use has become server-side, in the form of servlets/JSP.

Largely a moot point, imho, although it is a good indication of M$'s future mussel flexing now that NS is all but out of the browser market.

"Just because I'm evil doesn't mean I'm not nice." - Charlie Fulton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i noticed that in XP, it missing from IE6 completely.
    5mb download after every clean install of XP.

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sun and MS have been fighting over Java for a while..

Hence why MS have not updated their JVM in IE5/5.5 let alone the tests of 6, its stuck at 1.3 as far as I remember.

Basically they wont pay Sun a Gagillion Dollors for the honor! We will see how popular Java is in 6 months if MS drop support for it!

Advertisement