Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Life 3rd party proggy

Options
  • 27-07-2001 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

Right, im not sure which board to post this in, so ill try here. Any admin feel free to move it to another board if you think ill get a better response.

Right, what im after is some information regarding the Half Life dedicated server and how to remotely communicate with it. I will be writing a program completelty seperate from HL, and its client. I want to be able to issue RCON commands, and retrieve their responses. What i need to know is how exactly is communication achieved.

I know there are a few programs around that do what im thinking about, but i would far prefer to have a bash at making one myself, as i dont like any that are there at the moment and it gives me somit to mess about with when i have some free time.

So, what im doing is writing a 3rd party program to issue RCON commands to a HL server, and to be able to retrieve all responses. I can most likely handle the programming, i just need to know how the communication works, if you catch my drift smile.gif

Any help will be appreciated.

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 27-07-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Sev (that's his boards nickname) made something similar a while back which was very handy for admins, but when one of the HL patches (I think it was 1101) came out, it rendered it useless, and Sev never bothered to update it - you might get in touch with him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Been there, done that.
    I wrote such a piece of software a few months back, it issued rcon commands and also allowed you to listen in on kills and chat on the server.
    "Sev's Rcon Console" I called it, buy ever since HL 1.1 they changed the rcon protocol slightly and I never got around to updating it (it only required a few lines). I regret that now, cos I formatted recently and lost VC5 but I still have the code lieing around somewhere, hopefully.
    I'll gladly help with anything you want to know, you'll find me on IRC - irc.quakenet.org on #fortress.ie or #dnc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

wow Sev your naming skillz are leet
    I think I still have the great Sev Darts at home somewhere smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Nice one, thanks for the useful replies. Now, one final thing smile.gif Has anyone got a link to a good packet sniffer that works in win2k pro. Needs to be able to get TCP & UDP.

Thanks once again smile.gif

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

I too have written one before, check ur mail m8 wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Moriarty could you mail me your rcon proggy, please
    ojthe1st at hotmail dot com

Havent even started it OJ. Gimme a few days to get everything sorted. Oh, and it wont be a standalone proggy, itll be an addon to mIRC, as thats what i want smile.gif

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Aye, I know a guy that did this for qw. Created an irc bot which connected to an qw server and displayed all the speech and messages from the server. Was pretty cool.

Gav

Script is finished, its for Counter-Strike, and its not too bad if i say so myself :)
    Short list of features :
    • Complete control through irc commands
    • Issue RCON commands from IRC
    • Ability to chat to players on the CS server, from IRC.
    • Reporting of numerous things back from a server, such as : Chat, teamchat, kills, server actions, rcon commands, etc etc.
    • Excelent control over exactly what you want reported from the server to IRC.
    • Unique code that tracks TKers by their WONID.

This is just a brief list, it does much more. To run it, copy the mIRC .exe file (found at www.mirc.com) into a directory, along with this script. Start mIRC, type "/load -rs rcon.mrc". It will help you set it up, then connect to an IRC server and away you go.

Its available here. Rename to .zip after you download, and extract as normal.

Advertisement