Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Source on Boards.ie again

Options
  • 10-07-2001 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Any furthur developments Admins? Are you going for tweaks and hacks or a rebuild?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I missed my opportunity last time but heres to say that I'm game in helping reshape the boards, I would like the chance to work on a totally brand new project and create our own boards, but I think that the regular boards should be kept going for the duration, because it will obviously take quite a while to build a complete bb system from scratch.

That's just my two cents and I know it's been discussed before but like I said I missed my chance so that's why I'm saying it here.

Baz_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

why didn't you just bump the other thread Phil??

anyway I think the consenus is to use the UBB code ... last I heard from Devore they were trying to get in touch with Infopop about it.

starting from scratch would be a long and lenghty process to get it up to this level ... sure you could write a quick board setup in a day or 2. but to get it to this sorta level would take longer ... and open source is best if there is an existing code to work with.

all we have to do is start from raw UBB code( this perl scripts not the [ + ]'s for those numb nuts reading smile.gif ). If I get on to this project ... I'm personally going to make it my goal to improve the smiles :-) seee I want :-) to show up as smile.gif and plus my own personal smiley ]:-). that plus I have a few ideas to tidy up the post pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I thought a new thread was deserved. I was just looking for an update on the situation from DeV , Cloud or one of the other Admins. What were their name's again? hmmmm ....

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 11-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Ello... Infopop require us to have an additional license if we want to have a test boards site, costing roughly £500.

We're thinking about what to do smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Vbulletin imho is a lot nicer, and the good folks there will import the UBB into your new board for free. PHP as opposed to perl though. I'm fairly new to both languages but wouldn't mind doing some coding work if youre setting up a new board.

http://www.vbulletin.com/

• Advertisement

vbulletin still charge.
    if it was changing to another engine ... I'd suggest the closest match being ikonboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭jmcc

If there was one modification that could be made to the UBB code then it should be a facility to show a threaded response rather than the whole page or n pages of responses. I've seen this facility at work on phorums and it is fairly useful where the thread gets long. However it is database backed and I am not sure about UBB's structure as it was Perl/flatfiles the last time I looked at it (1999 or so). The other factor is that people have grown used to the UBB frontend for boards so some kind of unholy offspring could emerge. The threaded responses page for each thread may be doable though but it could also create more files if it was to rely on the flatfiles method.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

The UBB on boards is still perl cgi/flatfile based, so using a database for the files is a bit out of reach. I think the look and feel is more easily achieved - its not that complex, but UBB might not appreciate someone robbing their look and feel smile.gif

keeping the main look is high on the list Imho.

which is why I suggested ikonboard ... it is perl and flatfile also which means easy working with and also it keeps the same look and is GNU as it is, no cost at all.

cloud still has the ikonboard test one running
    http://www.boards.ie/ikonboard/

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

we're considering our options at the moment, we'll probably move to vBulletin or Ikon, but as yet nothing is decided and probably wont be for another month.

We'll keep you guys posted...

DeV.

• Advertisement

ikonboard :-) .... I don't want to have to go off and learn vbulletin too ... trying to remember the perl is enough :-)

Advertisement