Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Development Toolz

Options
  • 17-07-2001 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Right,

I have been watching the ppl that frequent this board for the past while and I like their attitude towards SD. The whole open sourcing of the Boards is one influence amongst others. Since there are such a collection of generous and helpful ppl here, I though it would be a good idea to recommend what tools you would think every programmer should have in his box. Or even good sites!

My Contribution
    Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise suite
    MSDN
    Dreamweaver 4.0
    Flash 5.0
    Paint shop pro 7.0

But the problem with what I've given is that they are the popular ones. Has anyone found anything that is not well known that should get some attention! Lettuce know wink.gif

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Yes
    I use Dreamweaver too... its my fav but before i had it I used this FREEWARE:

Evrsoft's "1st Page 2000"

it is an excellent HTML/CSS/XML/JScript Editing app.... I found it excellent. It even comes w/ sample Java to use... and Lots of freee JScript.It even has 4 different options of menu use...beginnner, intermediate, Expert and HArdcore smile.gif

go check it out
    I use it along side Dreamweaver

"Information is Ammunition"
    Choas Engine
    Email: choas@netshop.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Homesite's a great editor for HTML and the like. It's the one used in Dreamweaver 4.
    I'm starting to think every programmer should use Emacs too.
    I'm not really one for IDE's y'see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Microsoft Java Software Development Kit 4.0
    EditPlus v 2 (text/code editor)
    COM Explorer

and of all things:
    Batch (*.bat) files
    The Command Prompt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

EditPlus 2
    Interdev/VB6
    Oracle JDeveloper
    XML Spy
    Nokia WAP Toolkit

...and DOS/the command prompt too wink.gif

"Just because I'm evil doesn't mean I'm not nice." - Charlie Fulton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Forgot to mention Ant. Excellent tool for builds.
    http://jakarta.apache.org/ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Hmmm lets see

all types of work
    the one the only command prompt theres so much you can do with it.....

Normal DB Work (MS SQL)
    Visual InterDev
    Query Analyzer
    I Never Ever use SQL Enterprise manager since SQL 7 since its gone to the MMC version its the biggest pile of ****e ever.

Development Work
    VS6/VS.NET (I'm a vb muppet)

Web Work
    Notepad
    UltraDev/InterDev
    MS XSL Debugger

OLAP Work
    MS DTS
    InterDev
    OLAP/Analysis Services
    ProClairty 3/4 (mainly a client tool but generates some good base MDX to work on)

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 finn_mac_cool

I've used the KAWA IDE for Java for years now, through various different versions, I'm using 5.0 now. It has a lot to offer in terms of fitting in between hardcore feature rich IDEs like JBuilder etc. and your basic text editor. Simple interface, not too much auto coding (which I hate) going on. Also, it doesn't highjack you code and put it's name all over the place.

The program used to be owed by a small company called tek-tools, but they sold it to Allaire, this has meant that it is integrated/supports some of their other products such as JRun.

Another useful feature is the ability to use various different JDK's and classpath setups without having to reconfigure the whole program.

Since the sale to Allaire, KAWA has moved somewhat closer to the JBuilder, big boy kinda IDE with loads of bells and whistle and a little bit away from the "simple but powerful" ideal that used to be their catchphrase. That said, it is much less propritory than a lot of other IDEs and in my opinion has the best learning curve for someone that just wants to get some code written.

Incidentally, it is easy to download the full featured program. Key-gens aren't too hard to find if you feel you need a little longer than the eval period to dscide ;-)

Advertisement