Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good C/C++ compiler and ide anyone?

Options
  • 15-07-2001 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Can anybody suggest a good C/C++ (preferably does both) compiler and ide for windows?

(A decent help system is a must smile.gif)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

No problem. You could pick of a copy of Borland C++ 5.0, quite nice with help system and kewl function libraries. You should be able to pick this up on a PC Plus cover disk or something

MS Visual C++ 6.0, Very nice IDE, No help (that's extra, known as MSDN). Expensive, but good.

They are the commercial ones, but you can download **** loads of stuff off the net for free anyway.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phobos:
    They are the commercial ones, but you can download **** loads of stuff off the net for free anyway.</font>

Try EditPlus 2 (Shareware, http://www.editplus.com/). I find it very good for both C and Java (actually it'll allow you do write pretty much any language). You can configure your own templates, language syntax and also tie an batch file or external exe, such as a command line compiler, into a custom menu item. Very nice smile.gif

"Just because I'm evil doesn't mean I'm not nice." - Charlie Fulton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

MSVC++ 6.0 is pretty much the only way to go (sorry to all Borland fans, but it actually is better). As Phobos says, the help is with MSDN, but I think it's great. You press F1, and wallop. And no, I didn't pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Void, any chance of a copy? smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

phaxx iv got C++ builder3 for windows. got it there a few months back found it today just when u asked your question.

will give ya a copy when ya pop down to CW.

also found a copy of borland c++ 3.0 for dos.
    all this stuff lying about the place, who would have thought?

[This message has been edited by flamegrill (edited 16-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Actually Void you're right, MSVC++ 6.0 is the only way to go. But....

If you are a beginner I recommend the Borland suite (not C++ Builder, simply the plain one, coz you won't be doing GUI dev). The reason why is because it has good function libraries that are easy to use and it's own help system. It's also easier to get your hands on for free.

But if you are a C/C++ coder. I highly recommend MSVC++ 6.0. It is the only C/C++ IDE I use. The editor is sweeet, with it's automated syntax highlighting and indentation. MSDN help system is so comprehensive, you will never need all that information (Over a Gig).

And no I didn't pay for it either, I was sponsored Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition from Microsoft. wink.gif

:-phobos-)

Advertisement