Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spammer gets nine years.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pumping out at least 10 million e-mails a day
    Lets say each email wasted one second of a persons time. This works out at 1.5 YEARS of wasted per day. (using a 37.5 hour week). Also there are still a lot of people round here on dial-up, and spam costs them money in because of the extra time they spend on line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Disagree totally - he should have got more. The only way to deter these scumbags is severe punishment. Plus instantly back to jail after release if he even approaches a PC again.

He is part of an industry that has probably cost ISP's and their users literally millions in filtering, extra bandwidth and wasted man hours reading his crap.

Spam is periously close to destroying Email as a useful communications medium. The only way to stop them is to close down their business model by making too costly in social or economic terms to be worthwhile.

I think the last figure I saw quoted 79% of all mails are spam.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Spam is periously close to destroying Email as a useful communications medium. The only way to stop them is to close down their business model by making too costly in social or economic terms to be worthwhile.
    Last cost I saw was that spam / phishing / worries of credit card fraud were costing the e-economy about €40Bn a year !

My post about the waste of resources is about the magnitude of the crime - over a month that person would have wasted the equilivant of an entire lifetime of man-hours !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

People who spend their time wasting others should be punished and as Capt'n Midnight said, the sheer amount of time and money wasted means that this is not a harsh sentence at all IMO.

Keep the sentences coming...

Just to clarify - agree totally with Capt and not OP. Look at the posting times. I was in mid-rant as you were posting Capt. ;)

Economic costs to the spammers business model (and business) - Massive fines.

Social Costs to the spammer - Enough time in the Big House that their arse hangs around their ankles by the time they get out.

Add some technological fixes too and we might just get a handle on it - or at least reduce it to a bearable level like junk (snail) mail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

"...he argued during the trial that the law was poorly crafted and that prosecutors never proved the e-mail was unsolicited."
    Ahahaha 10 million a day? :rolleyes:
    Lame argument IMO, I'm glad common sense prevailed in that ruling.
    Now go and jail those telemarketing muppets that wake people up in the middle of the night with a phonecall trying to sell their crap... same crime if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Have to say I'm glad people are finally being prosecuted for this, though in this case he'll probably get off when the appeal goes through. Really can't see him actually getting put away for nine years.

Interestingly enough this guy is on Wikipedia. Seems he's one of the biggest spammers in the world.

"During the trial it was revealed that Jaynes had delivered physical junk mail during the 1990s. His e-mail outfit primarily advertised a variety of "work at home" schemes. Of the hundreds of thousands of e-mails he broadcast per day, only an estimated 10-17,000 replied; but with orders of $39.95 per customer, Jaynes earned up to $750,000 per month, and amassed a personal fortune estimated at $24 million, against line rental of $50,000 per month."

$24 million from spam! :eek:.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Mmm...I'm happy enough with that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

He deserves it! Such a loser...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Serves him right. Who wants stupid junk mail in their inbox every day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Still a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Not for someone who made millions of dollars on wasting people's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Hash Boy

Eh, to all the people who are saying "He deserves it, hahaha" - his sentence was suspended and he will probably win his appeal - am I the only one who spotted the bit where he has basically gotten away with it?

He's still a c*nt though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

He certainly deserves nine years, although I'm not sure why he was prosecuted for spamming and not fraud. He took $24m from people, selling them products they sometimes didn't even exist.

MrPinK wrote:
    He certainly deserves nine years, although I'm not sure why he was prosecuted for spamming and not fraud. He took $24m from people, selling them products they sometimes didn't even exist.

Where does it say that? the original article doesnt mention it, neither do the ones I found after a quick google on Spamhaus and Slashdot. None of them mention that his products didnt exist - they only mention that each purchase was worth $40 to him.
    adele wrote:
    Still a bit much
    You're being naive. He made $24m from illegal practises - if it had been for any other offense worth $24m he would have been banged up for longer. Spamhaus reckons at the time of his arrest he was the 8th most prolific spammer in the world.
    Hash Boy wrote:
    his sentence was suspended
    His sentence was postponed not suspended - until after his appeal - if it fails he'll do bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I agree with the sentence of 9 years but not being able to access a pc again is a bit harsh. Computers are a part of every persons life today and will be alot more in 9 years.

How do they expect a person to live in society and not be able to use a computer,.

How do they expect a person to live in society and not be able to use a computer,.

That was my suggestion not the courts. :rolleyes:

Why shouldnt these people be banned from PC access ever again when they have a history of abusing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

He is being made an example of.
    There is no way he will stay in for 9 years...
    This is one of the first so they are coming down heavy....

Advertisement