Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York

Options
  • 08-04-2005 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

I'm heading to New York on a J1 from May to September and planning on travelling fiarly lightly - so I'll probably buy most of my clothes over there. I'm looking for decent clothes shops; and cheap. Maybe Pull&Bear type places.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭annette curtain

tk maxx, old navy, prob the 2 best!! but once you get out there and walk about 4 a day you'll find loads of cheap clothes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

All the big shops in America have bargain basements so this is probably your best bet. Go to Bloomingdales and Macys, there bargain basements are pretty good.

Century 21 is one of the best discount stores. Its in the World Trade District across for where the Trade centres used to be. Highly recommened that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Gap, Daffys (sort of like Tk Maxx), Old Navy, American Eagle (great shop), Abercrombie and Fitch, TJ Maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hop on a train out to White Plains. Its a part of New York completely stuffed with huge malls. Trains go from Grand Central AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I second American Eagle & Old Navy. Some really cheap stuff in there. Your best bet would be to head out to an outlet mall or just a huge mall, you'll find everything in there rather than traipsing around NY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

Head to Wooodbury Common in New Jersey - special buses run to it from Manhattan. It's huge...has everything you'd want under one roof, & it's in New Jersey so the tax rate on clothes & stuff is lower than in New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

go to a place called Riverhead in Long Island, New York. Its huge (i mean huge!) shopping complex, but its nothing like the dundrum centre or something like that. Its just individual shops in two huge areas. Every brand has a single shop to itself. Like GAP, Ralph, tommy, Nautica, Banana Republic, Klein, etc etc.....its so big there a tram like bus (just a tram with wheels) that brings you around, coz walking becomes a bitch! I spent 1500 dollars there in one day! it was amazing! Two boot fulls of stuff! Go there! Long island is an amazing place too, very rich and plenty of stuff to do! go visit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Woodbury Common in in NY so taxes will apply and it's costs about $40 to get to. This has more of the high end designer stuff so I've heard
    Jersey Gardens is in New Jersey and only costs a couple of dollars to get to. I was here last year and will be going again in a couple of weeks so I can recommend it. Both these places have websites with a full list of shops
    For Levis etc go to Daves, it's down near 17th, cheapest in NY

• Site Banned Posts: 313 ✭✭revo

Jnealon wrote:
    Woodbury Common in in NY so taxes will apply and it's costs about $40 to get to. This has more of the high end designer stuff so I've heard
    Jersey Gardens is in New Jersey and only costs a couple of dollars to get to. I was here last year and will be going again in a couple of weeks so I can recommend it. Both these places have websites with a full list of shops
    For Levis etc go to Daves, it's down near 17th, cheapest in NY

woodbury common is a bargain i went with nothing in my case and came back with 2 full cases.
    it has nike, adidas , puma, burberry, armani, sony, everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

revo wrote:
    woodbury common is a bargain i went with nothing in my case and came back with 2 full cases.
    it has nike, adidas , puma, burberry, armani, sony, everything
    Exactly, designer stuff in woodbury and everyday wears in Jersey

• Advertisement
Advertisement