Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone like Garbage???

• 08-04-2005 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

What do you think of the new song "Why do you love me?", i think it catchy. Saw them on CD:UK and Shirley was miming which is unusual. The chorus started and she wasn;t wuick enough puttin the mic up to her mouth. They were on Jonathon Ross the other night and were singing live.....fantastic.

I wasn't too keen on Beautiful Garbage but liked the first two albums. I;ve ordered the new album so will have it next week.

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Saw the video during one of those brief moments where MTV actually plays a music video. Prompted me to dig out the Pink Furry cover album - excellent. Shirley a feisty little minx aint she? distinctive voice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Brilliant band... ruined their image with "Beautiful Garbage". The new album is alright though - the first 4 tracks are great, and then it tails off a bit afterwards.

I can't believe Shirley is turning 40 next year! :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I love em, ever heard them sing Call Me by Blondie with Brody Dalle from Distillers and Gwen Stafani? It's brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Garbage were my first proper gig. As such they'll always have a special place in my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Magical Pete

I love em, ever heard them sing Call Me by Blondie with Brody Dalle from Distillers and Gwen Stafani? It's brilliant

I thought that was crap.. you can barely hear Shirley over Gwen..

Anywho, Garbage rock. Simple as that.

Just bought the new album, and i'm still not sure how i feel about it. It has some pluses and minuses, the major plus being that the released a fourth album. Thank christ BG wasn't the last release.. Cherry Lips would do a great disservice as the bands final single. But not all is well in the Garden of Eden.. I think the lyrics are lazy as hell, as always Shirley goes and pwns all with her incredible voice (and looks, thanks christ the blonde is gone), but i don't like being able to nearly predict the lyrics to songs i haven't heard. Butch Vig does his usual phenomenal drumming.. and i wouldn't mind looking as cool as that when i'm his age. The guitars are pretty good too, and best of all, again as usual, the band bring the whole thing together marvellously, in more of a subtle way than they did with Ver2.0, but a great way nonetheless.

Bah.. i shouldn't be attempted to describe what i don't yet understand, but i do know this, i love Garbage, and i managed to get used to and eventually listen to most of BG (except for Can't Try These Tears, that song requires more time) and enjoy it. I think it's better than BG, the overtures to Ver2.0 and the debut album are welcome and half-expected, plus it's darker, which i always love.
    So, it's pretty good, and i'll get used to. It's not currently going to win my awards for best album, but i'll keep tapping my feet until it does.

I'll shut up now.

I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Garbage are the ultimate cynical, production-line corporate rock band. 3 middle-aged producers create indie-rawk by numbers on protools and get a female frontwumman to warble over it. Terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I've never liked them, I absolutely hate "Stupid Girl" and everything else they've ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Magical Pete

magpie wrote:
    Garbage are the ultimate cynical, production-line corporate rock band. 3 middle-aged producers create indie-rawk by numbers on protools and get a female frontwumman to warble over it. Terrible.

Heh, gotta love people like this.. They take something, declare it to be the exact opposite of what it is, and then give no reasons for their thinking.

Other minor quibbles:

-Metallica are the ultimate cynical, production-line corporate rock band. Don't take that away from them.
    -And their age as what to do with it? Wouldn't you like to resemble Butch Vig when you're older? You know, normal hair, funky glasses. Plus you'd be called Butch.. Now that's a name.
    -Yes, they put a lot of loops and extra beats into their songs. It makes them sound better. I fail to see how this make them cynical.
    -On the cynical note, Shirley has an online diary (long pre-dating the blogging craze) in which she lays herself bare to the world... Jeez, what a cynical bitch :(
    -Women are generally female.

Sprosten:

Don't blame you. Stupid Girl was not particularily w00tish. It's actually the songs they don't release you look at for quality. Vow, Supervixen, Not My Idea, AlienSexFiend (what a song), Temptation Waits, Sleep Together, You Look So Fine, Cup of Coffee, Parade, Nobody Loves You.
    Also, if you're going to go back as far as 95 for your judgement on Garbage.. Well.. Don't.. Present day is better. And don't be a hater of everything else they've done since. Unless you've listened to and dislike everything they're done since, which i sincerely doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I rather liked the first two albums, but Beautiful Garbage just didn't catch my interest.

Advertisement