Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i got's wasps! and fekin bees!!!

Options
  • 08-04-2005 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

have to clear out my ma's garrage, which was home to extreme death metal band for about 7 years.

it's been lying idle for the past 5, and some bee's and wasp's have since moved in.

i have to clear this out!

has anyone had to deal with this 5hit before? how much are exterminitors?

would it be too dangerous to tackle em with a sweepin brush and some dutch courage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

if i were you id get someone that knows what they are doing to remove the hive!!! if bees attack it can be very dangerous!!! as for dutch courage, it a slab of dutch gold you need if you are going to tackle them yourself!!! the dutch gold should numb some of the pain for you!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Every summer for the past five years, a wasp nest has been in my garden. Oh what fun i have throwing a stone or dirt at the nest and running like hell.
    Two hundred of them must have come out after me, i hope they again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Bash the nest with a stick! wasps sense courage and won't sting you.

on a more serious note:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=49022

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'll get the yellow pages.

i can really see these guys taking the piss, does anyone know how much they should charge?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

half the honey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

A CO2 fire extinguisher, suffocate the bastards.
    TK
    Or ! Set fire to it, and then put it out with the CO2.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's sprays and poisens and things you can get, I'd say woodies should have them. You can spray them around the outside of the nest and that way the workers carry the poisen into the colony themselves and kill their own queen.

its in a shed
    NeMiSiS wrote:
    A CO2 fire extinguisher, suffocate the bastards.
    TK
    Or ! Set fire to it, and then put it out with the CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I got stung by a bee once....

£10 for a jar of honey!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

As far as i Know wasps and bees dont hibernate(apart from a few queens), they die each season and a queen starts from scratch the next year, there shouldnt be a nest already active this time of the year, get in clean it up before another hive is active... prevention
    Although I could be wrong (im positive about wasps dying each season), bee's mmm, nearly sure, :rolleyes:

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The best way to get rid of them is chemical warfare! We had them in our roof and my stupid father used to stand in the garden for hours catching them in a net and killing them - i kid you not...He almost broke my hand when I open the door just as he was running after one and the door came back on my hand!!! :rollseyes: Anyhoo's my mam decided enough was enough - what if the neighbors see etc and called in a pro - that was 4 years ago and they haven't come back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TrickyDicky

Afaik, I think bees are a protected species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Ok, I had to **** a Wasp nest from my shed a few years ago.

and this is where sitting in front of the telly has paid off.

They hate smoke.... so, get a load of smoker friends around, and some dutch courage/gold and that should shift them.

if not, best to do it at night, they tend to be less active then. Grab the hive, dump it the neighbours bin, and the listen to the screams come the night before the bins get collected ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Megatron wrote:
    They hate smoke..

They don't actually hate smoke, it makes them docile. The reason being that when they sense smoke bees gorge themsevles on their stores of honey thinking that the whole hive is going to become engulfed in flames. And it's this gorging that makes them docile in much the same way you feel after you have a big meal.

B.

paperclip wrote:
    its in a shed

One word: Napalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Afaik, I think bees are a protected species.
    Bumble bees (the big lazy furry ones) are, at least in the UK, not sure about here. Don't think 'ordinary' bees are, and wasps certainly aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

BaZmO* wrote:
    They don't actually hate smoke, it makes them docile. The reason being that when they sense smoke bees gorge themsevles on their stores of honey thinking that the whole hive is going to become engulfed in flames. And it's this gorging that makes them docile in much the same way you feel after you have a big meal.

B.

Sorry your Right there, well apart from me feeling like that... Only happend once, but thats because i ate about 2lb's of Lansage... i hate seeing food going to waste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Myth wrote:
    One word: Napalm.

He's about right, douse the place with petrol and toss a match in.

Humans: ONE - Bumble Bees/Bees/Wasps: NOTHIN'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

run on down to tescos and get a wasp/bee nest spray! you just spray it on the nest and it coats it killin all the wasps! oh yea and it stops em comin back as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

A few years ago I lived in a sh!thole student house with my mates. One day, one of my housemates heard a rustling sound from the ceiling on the top floor. We were having a look/listen, when I decided to start poking the offending area. My finger went through the wallpaper and right into the middle of a wasps nets. Hundreds of the bastards started pouring out, trapping my mate in the corner behind a waterfall of wasps, screaming for help. I ran downstairs and grabbed the can of insect spray we kept and ran back to help my mate. It was great; like real life Doom! The wasps were really pissed off 'cos I'd invaded their home and when any of them noticed me, they made a bee-line(!) for me, sting first. So I had to shoot them out of the air with the spray as they shot towards my face. Once I'd gained control of all the loose wasps, I put the spraycan to the hole in the nest and filled it with insecticide. Knackered wasps continued to fall from the hole for the next 20 minutes or so. I didn't get stung even once!

The moral of the story is, stop being such a pussy and exterminate the little feckers.

• Advertisement

wasp nest spray! now you're talkin
    run on down to tescos and get a wasp/bee nest spray! you just spray it on the nest and it coats it killin all the wasps! oh yea and it stops em comin back as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

A few years ago I lived in a sh!thole student house with my mates. One day, one of my housemates heard a rustling sound from the ceiling on the top floor. We were having a look/listen, when I decided to start poking the offending area. My finger went through the wallpaper and right into the middle of a wasps nets. Hundreds of the bastards started pouring out, trapping my mate in the corner behind a waterfall of wasps, screaming for help. I ran downstairs and grabbed the can of insect spray we kept and ran back to help my mate. It was great; like real life Doom! The wasps were really pissed off 'cos I'd invaded their home and when any of them noticed me, they made a bee-line(!) for me, sting first. So I had to shoot them out of the air with the spray as they shot towards my face. Once I'd gained control of all the loose wasps, I put the spraycan to the hole in the nest and filled it with insecticide. Knackered wasps continued to fall from the hole for the next 20 minutes or so. I didn't get stung even once!

The moral of the story is, stop being such a pussy and exterminate the little feckers.

Respect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

We come across wasp nest fairly often, it's not a problem for us because we don't go near them ;)

Usual charge is between 50 and 75 euro for the exterminator to lay down there secret recipe.

Take care if you intend trying to get rid of them yourself, some people are allergic to wasp and bee stings.

There are bee keepers who can remove bee hives and are happy to do so, the bee is a worker, the wasp is a pest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Yup, agree with Pete... If they are bees you can ring your local beekeeper (look for beekeeping society in Ireland.. google it) and they'll happily collect the bees for you. If they're wasps.. call the exterminator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Alun wrote:
    Bumble bees (the big lazy furry ones) are, at least in the UK, not sure about here. Don't think 'ordinary' bees are, and wasps certainly aren't.

I'd say it's wasps you have - you don't see too many bee nests around houses.
    Bumble bees (the big hairy f**kers) don't usually nest in large numbers and almost never near houses.

I always though that bumble bees couldn't sting but apparently the females and workers can and they don't lose their sting like honey bees.
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/archive/20020906.html
    I've been picking them up since I was a kid and they never stung me, even picked one up a couple of weeks ago to make sure.
    This guy been picking them up too for 40 years and they've yet to get him
    http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-30342

A little off topic I know, but I saw some Bumble Bees in Morocco. Unlike their european equivalents they're not fluffy, nor do they have stripes. Just Black shiny carapaces. They look very 'metal'. :D

Bumble bees you don't need to worry about, they're docile and can live for up to 20 years so they see no need to mess with humans :) Wasps die after a season so have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

The nest is only just starting to get active again, all bumblebees and wasps die off during the winter except the queen. Only honeybees hibernate and it is very unlikely to be that.

If the nest is papery to look at, its 99% certain its a wasps nest. Bumblebees prefer stone walls and they are HUGE insects and also very passive in stinging capacity compared with wasps.

They are only just starting to be active and the sooner you deal with it, the less of a problem it will be, wait a few weeks and you have 100 times as many wasps stinging you.

Use the spray on them, wear loads of layers and gloves and you will be grand.

Watch out for the fumes though, they are not exactly human friendly either.

Then burn the nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

magpie wrote:
    Bumble bees you don't need to worry about, they're docile and can live for up to 20 years so they see no need to mess with humans :) Wasps die after a season so have nothing to lose.
    Where did you get that info from? All the sources I can find on the internet, such as this and this suggest that they only live for one year. Each year new queens are hatched which when mature, mate and go into hibernation until the next year. The old queen, along with all the workers and drones then die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Meditraitor is right about wasps and bumble bees not overwintering, except for the queens. If there are wasp nests (papery) in the shed, they'll be vacated apart from earwigs etc. Fresh ones will at most be golf ball size with only the queen active, but I doubt they'd even be this advanced yet.

If its Honey bees in shed then local bee keeper should oblige.
    The Irish Beekeeper federation website is down at moment

For picture of wasp, try this link
    http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th4b.htm

Don't think this is the thread is start going on about how much good wasps do.... ;):D

• Advertisement

Where did you get that info from? All the sources I can find on the internet, such as this and this suggest that they only live for one year. Each year new queens are hatched which when mature, mate and go into hibernation until the next year. The old queen, along with all the workers and drones then die.

A bumblebee in the pub told me

Advertisement