Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Addressbook from Browser

Options
  • 14-06-2001 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Part of the app. that I am writing is to send an e-mail (From within your browser) ie/netscape etc. Anyone know of any clientside (Java/VB script) where I can access the address book of the client to access a list of e-mail addresses. By selecting one would populate a textbox in the browser.

Outlook for e.g.

Thanks in advance.

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bwoods:
    Part of the app. that I am writing </font>

App? yeah right. Perhaps you should change your name to Melissa...

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 14-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Doing exactly that will cause:

a> lots of people not to like you

and

b> alarm bells to go off in some client side software (such as virus guards, and Outlook 10 (XP) )

--

thankfully, it (probably) can't be done - certainly not in JavaScript to the best of my knowledge.

Bard
    Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Not from within a browser no, put the same script executed from:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Outlook for e.g
    </font>

would work. Thus getting Mr bwoods hunted down until he points fingers and says "the Moderators on Boards.ie told me how to do it". The f*cker.

This post has been brought to you by the number 12 and the letter C.

[edited because I nearly gave away something]

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 14-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds like he wants to user to be able to select a name within an Address book and then it would take that selection and populate a text field on web form.

Or maybe he did want to create a virus. Who knows. Sorry I can't answer it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 bwoods

It was a serious question. ****... all I have is a text box in html, I wanted a link to say the outlook addressbook of that user and by clicking on that link would popup the addressbook. By clicking on a name on the addressbook would populate that field with the address.

Simple question I thought!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You could probably do it using Java/DirectX, but the applet/application would need to be signed. And I have no idea how to go about it. But it's a start? smile.gif

adam

Well maybe I was to quick of the mark there, and if I was I apologise, but I think you can see how dangerous what your asking for is. It can be done, but I'm not saying how.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

You could use the microsoft mapi controls in a client side script but it very well could cause loads of warning bells to go off.

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

you can't do this, as said above, its a major security issue, you can't use the browser to access info on the clients pc. its a nono, don't even think about it.

perhaps some method of allowing the user to upload/sync their address books with the server, then reading the info from the server would be what you are after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You can do it using client-side ActiveX. Needless to say this will limit your your user base to Win32/IE4+ and Outlook, etc.

• Advertisement

You can't do it from a browser, but you can do it with a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

bwoods....

all this talk about "very dangerous", "alarms going off", "Melissa" and so on is completely missing the point.

Heres the important question before *any* of that becomes important....

Is this for running on an Intranet or Internet site?

Intranet sites have no issues dealing with this stuff. You can write a simple ActiveX component and invoke that, or hey, even code to MAPI directly with some client-side scripting.

As long as your browser recognises that you are in a trusted/Local Intranet site, then you should have no problems.

If you are trying to do the same from an internet site, then you are facing the problems described....the client-side script and/or ActiveX stuff you write will *probably* send bells n whistles off.

In either case....the best place to start looking is the object-model for Outlook.
    jc

Advertisement