Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRML and OpenGL programming.

Options
  • 09-05-2001 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

Basically it's the time of the year when i have to start thinking about Final Year options.
    I'm interested in the Graphics and Virtual Reality option.
    But i would just like to hear about people's experiences of either of the two things i mentioned in the topic.
    I've been programming Java for the last 3 years. So i'm comfortable with OOP. But i was just wondering what the transition from Java to C++ is like?
    I'd really appreciate any comments or advice that people have.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

DO IT
    I'd done Java but no C++ before i started into OpenGL, and it was no problem.
    Be sure to note that it is just a programming course, there's not much VR involved.

In fairness, in the 5 years i've been in college, it's by far the most interesting thing i've done, and the coursework for it is very good. Get cosmo and check out my version of the JCR http://www.csc.tcd.ie/~enviro/graphics/JCR.wrl
    And that was one of the worst in the class, Jazz's is much better. (Keith if you read this will you put a link here so i can see it.)
    Lastly the class size will probably be pretty small so that is good, i think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Cian that you? biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice. I'll check that link out. We had the talk today, and to be honest all the other options seemed a bit rubbish, the security one seems mildly interesting.

I really want to try and get one of the graphics projects. SO i need to decide fast, my mind is pretty made up though. biggrin.gif

More advice welcome.

Cheers

I just got Cosmo and i can now see the JCR. biggrin.gif
    You forgot the pool table and the stupid security guards though. wink.gif
    Nice work, it looks really cool.

there seems to be alot more graphics projects this year than last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I'm working on a OO Raytracer at the moment in C++ as my final year project... damn interesting, and pretty tasking.

As far as transition goes I'm not too strong on Java so couldn't comment too much on it.

It seems you have a set list of projects to choose from anyway? Thats horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah, definitely do it, it's the best option of the lot. As for the transition from Java to C++, as long as you can figure out pointers and references then the rest shouldn't be too hard. There's a lot of similarities between the two.

There certainly is a much better list of Graphics projects this year. They're realling pushing Virtual Dublin. Don't forget you can always make up your own project - I went up to them before the end of 3rd year and asked if I could do my project (VR 3D modeller with dataglove & HMD) and they let me. Although the choice wasn't as good as it is this year, there's loads of good graphics projects there. That 'Physically Based Vehicle Modelling' one looks good, although whoever does that will probably be given Leah-Ann's code to work with - God help them.

Whatever you're gonna do, do it fast! The graphics projects are usually snapped up pretty quickly.

Here's my VRML, a Moon base. Click on the ball in the middle of the rings to make it go Event Horizon-esque: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~jazzsoc/vrml/base.wrl - it might take a little while to download, textures/sounds etc.

The projects aren't being given out on a first come, first served basis this year. They are going to be given to suitable candidates. But i'm still hoping to get one of the graphics projects. I'm going to go to talk to Ann tomorrow or monday. That should be time enough.
    Thanks for the advice and i'll check out that VRML when i get home. I can't get cosmo to work in here.

I did security too, and from what I've seen I think they're the best two options. The amount of notes they get in Mobile Communications is rediculous.

What was security like?
    I'm planning to do that too.
    They seem like the only two worthwhile options.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazz:
    although whoever does that will probably be given Leah-Ann's code to work with - God help them.
    </font>

He he.

• Advertisement

Yeah, do security. We covered a lot - cryptography both basic and advanced, access control, firewalls, a bit of hands-on hacking, intrusion detection systems and so on. We even had a look at quantum cryptography. Christian's a good lecturer too. The projects take quite a bit of work though - we had to implement RSA, El Gamal and the new AES.

But it's a damn interesting course, I'd recommend it.

Yeah, I did E-Commerce and it was pretty crap.
    Security is the one to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

nonsense ! mob comms is the way to go...you do like enormous quantities of notes don't you ?

as to projects defo go for a graphics one - the isg get all the good toys frown.gif

cian - those hippys dont sell cans smile.gif

[This message has been edited by yossarin (edited 10-05-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yossarin:
    cian - those hippys dont sell cans smile.gif
    </font>

???

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

sorry - i was looking at your JCR...

yeah, we used to but then those di<kheads in finches stopped making them.
    Think Global/Act Local
    =>
    no coke

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazz:

That 'Physically Based Vehicle Modelling' one looks good, although whoever does that will probably be given Leah-Ann's code to work with - God help them.
    </font>

I was over talking to Ann this morning and i asked about that project. She started showing me some of Leah Ann's stuff and i just went "oh no!". I think i'll steer ( excuse the pun ) clear of it. Though it would have been interesting.

The modelling of college buildings project looks amazing. She would like it to be done in Unreal Ed and 3d studio max. She showed me a demo of the kind of thing she's looking for and it was really cool. She said there's going to be some competition for it though and i'm not sure how i'll fair. Last years project was done in VRML ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

well I guess you all are tcd heads, well I am only a 2nd yr comp sc student, but as for from java to c++, you will be grand... c++ is cool.
    you know how java makes you things, and its built into the lang, well c++ is very flexible and you can adapt it your needs and style very easy

life is a glitch...
    ...Then you die

Good guess. biggrin.gif
    From what i've been told i shouldn't have much trouble with c++.
    Cheers!

Advertisement