Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belle & Sebastian's first ever compilation album

• 07-04-2005 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

well it's about time i told people aboot this, there seems to be quite a few fans on the forum. people who don't know them... i would strongly advise getting there stuff.. well here's the full story:

Belle & Sebastian's first ever compilation album, a collection of all 25 tracks from the band's seven Jeepster EPs and singles entitled "Push Barman To Open Old Wounds", will be released by Jeepster Recordings on May 23rd 2005.

In the UK and Europe the collection will be available in a deluxe casebound double-CD package and on limited-edition triple gatefold vinyl. The album will be released by Matador Records in the USA and Canada on May 24th in the deluxe CD and vinyl editions plus a standard 2CD jewelcase edition. In Japan, Toshiba-EMI will release the album on May 18th in a 2CD standard jewelcase and a "semi-domestic" edition featuring the deluxe casebound packaging with Japanese liner notes.

Domestic releases are planned for Australia and Brazil, but exact details of formats and release dates are yet to be confirmed. The tracklisting is as follows...

CD1
    Dog On Wheels
    The State I Am In
    String Bean Jean
    Belle and Sebastian
    Lazy Line Painter Jane
    You Made Me Forget My Dreams
    A Century Of Elvis
    Photo Jenny
    A Century Of Fakers
    Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie
    Beautiful
    Put The Book Back On The Shelf

CD2
    This Is Just A Modern Rock Song
    I Know Where The Summer Goes
    The Gate
    Slow Graffiti
    Legal Man
    Judy Is A Dickslap
    Winter Wooskie
    Jonathan David
    Take Your Carriage Clock And Shove It
    The Loneliness Of The Middle Distance Runner
    I'm Waking Up To Us
    I Love My Car
    Marx & Engels

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

*Puts at top of list*

Must get...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭JimboPope

I would recommend this to anyone, Belle and Sebastian are one of the few bands whom I own absolutely everything the've released. The early EP's are nothing short of amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Good stuff.

I only have the albums. So alot of these tracks are new to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The happiest most feelgood song of the 90's is missing from the compilation
    Scandalous!

Everybody sing:

And in the first moment of her waking up,
    you know shes losing it you know shes losing it
    and when the first cup of coffee tastes like washing up
    you know shes losing it you know shes losing it!

:):):) .I'm happy already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I hate compilations. I have all the songs. But looks good anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

well i have everything belle and sebastian have ever done (i'm pretty sure) and even so, i'll probably still buy it, they are the only band that i *bought* every one of their relases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TrickyDicky

What's everyones favourite B&S song? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

What's everyones favourite B&S song? :)
    An impossible question.

I don't like compliations or best of's myself, but I'll probably get this anyway. Track listing is pretty amazing. Still need to get Storytelling aswell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll pick it up cos I loved them at Oxegen last year. Never really took to Tigermilk when I bought it after the gig. Liked their more upbeat stuff more...

All their albums are equally good tbh.

Favourite song would be a tie between about half of thier songs.
    Second favourite would be a tie between everything in the other half.

• Advertisement

favourit belle and sebastian song...
    i've been a big fan for years, and i've alway had a soft spot for "Take Your Carriage Clock And Shove It"...
    but when i say that, i almost feel like i'm cheating on all of the other great songs so i'll leave it as an eternal question mark.

Yea, whenever someone asks me that I say "Oh, I love song X" and they say "Yea, I like song Y" and then I'm like "Oh yea, ****, forgot about song Y, I really like that aswell"

They're just all too damn good.

Going on my most played song it's The Chalet Lines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

My most played is "Piazza, New York Catcher" then "She's Losing It" and then The "State I Am In"

Actually there are 7 Belle & Sebastian tracks in my top 10 most played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

I saw a fan website a while ago (can't find it now) where hundreds of fans voted for their favourite Belle & Sebastian song and Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying came up on top.

The song I play most is probably Expectations although I wouldn't say it's my favourite. It's too damn hard to pick one! I can't think of a B&S song that I don't like :cool:

my most played b&s song surpised me, it's
    "I Know Where the Summer Goes".
    close second was "Simple Things"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

I have everything of theirs like alot of people here..
    Someone ementioned the oxygen gig.. That was great, we were right up the front. I was in heaven for an hour and a half..
    Favourite song: Ease your feet off in the sea AND "Le pastie de la bourgeoisie"

I have everything of theirs like alot of people here..
    Someone ementioned the oxygen gig.. That was great, we were right up the front. I was in heaven for an hour and a half..
    Favourite song: Ease your feet off in the sea AND "Le pastie de la bourgeoisie"
    If you were female and dancing I hate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Tyrrial wrote:
    well i have everything belle and sebastian have ever done (i'm pretty sure) and even so, i'll probably still buy it, they are the only band that i *bought* every one of their relases.

Have all the 7"s and 12"s already.
    But it would be nice to get the songs on CD in one fell swoop (purely convenience sake. Their artwork sucks on CD) so I might get it.

• Advertisement

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    All their albums are equally good tbh.

don't agree
    they peaked with Tigermilk and every album since then has been progressively and symmetrically less good.

All worth buying mind.
    The sleeves are superb and vinyl is the only way to go with them - reminds me of rushing out and getting every Smiths LP and 12" when I was a teenager.

Best song is The State That I Am In (version from Dog On Wheels EP)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I've been discovering Belle and Sebastian for the last few months and they are truly an amazing band. They are (besides Jack Johnson) my favourite feel-good band.
    Fave songs: I'm waking up to us
    I'm a cuckoo

"I'd like to see you, I had a funny dream and you were wearing funny shoes"

yeah Le pastie de la bourgeoisie is such a great song
    my most prized possession is a set list fromt he belle and sebastian gig in paris i went to
    it goes as follows:
    Passion Fruit
    Expectations
    Step into my office baby
    Wrapped up In Books
    Seeing Other People
    Dear Catastrophe Waitress / Waitress Skit
    The State I Am In
    Travellin' Light
    The Lonelyness of a Middle Distance Runner
    You Don't Sent Me

Gainsbourg Cover, By Sarah

Scooby Driver
    I'm A Cuckoo
    Piazza/Lord Anthony
    Asleep on a Sunbeam
    Dog on Wheels
    If You Find Yourself Cought in Love
    Judy and the Dream of Horses
    Roy Walker
    Stay Loose
    Sleep The Clock Around

they also played Get Me Away From Here i'm Dying AND Le Pastie de la Bourgeoisie aswell!
    what a great gig!!!

That is quite a set. Quite a few songs in there I would have liked to have heard at the Witnness gig. I got the set list from that gig. It's quite short compared to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I already have everything they've done, but I'll buy it just because it's Belle and Sebastian and Stuart's cover notes will be worth reading.

As for my favourite song, it changes from day to day. Right now it's Lazy Line Painter Jane. That said though, I don't think they have a song I don't like - I even think Beyond the Sunrise is great. Chalet Lines is the only one I skip with any regularity but that's because it's a tough song to listen to and seems to be at odds with what comes before and after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

If you were female and dancing I hate you.
    ... I was (and still am) female... and i was dancing... but I wasn't THAT girl who got up on stage and danced fairly crap.... didn't stuart SEE my custom made t-shirt???
    Weirdest belle and sebastian gig was when they played the Olympia and Stuart smashed up his guitar at the end...

... I was (and still am) female... and i was dancing... but I wasn't THAT girl who got up on stage and danced fairly crap.... didn't stuart SEE my custom made t-shirt???
    Weirdest belle and sebastian gig was when they played the Olympia and Stuart smashed up his guitar at the end...

i acctually asked belle and sebastian (via the Q&A section of the webpage) why exactly did stuart smash his guitar..
    and my reply:
    I don't think it was the guitar..it was just one of those things...making music is an emotional thing..it got a good cheer that's for sure.

Stevie

Nah, wasn't talking about that girl on stage (although she was fairly pathetic).

Really enjoyed the gig (was at the front) until two girls pushed their way infront of my and procceded to dance all over the place and constainly bump into me. Good god it was annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

oh cool!

I thought this would be a post about the release of the live christmas album that's been going the rounds on the web... tis mightly good....

Not the biggest Belle and Sebastian fan, but I know good music when I hear it, and they're great.... should listen more.... only have Dear Catastrophe Waitress and Tigermilk, where should I go from here?

• Advertisement

Work your way up through the proceeding albums, If Your Feeling Sinister after Tigermilk, and get your hands on their EP's if you can.

the ep's are amazing
    i'd probably say "3..6..9.. seconds of light" is the best. i really love "put the book back on the shelf" but you can't go to far wrong.
    that said i have no idea where you'd be able to get the ep's these days, best bet is amazon i guess pick up the lazy line painter jane box set
    ah.. here is is:

Enjoy

Tyrrial wrote:
    the ep's are amazing
    i'd probably say "3..6..9.. seconds of light" is the best. i really love "put the book back on the shelf" but you can't go to far wrong.
    that said i have no idea where you'd be able to get the ep's these days, best bet is amazon i guess pick up the lazy line painter jane box set
    ah.. here is is:

Enjoy
    Didn't know that existed.

Tyrrial wrote:
    the ep's are amazing
    ah.. here is is:

Enjoy

EPs and other singles are coming out on a 2 CD package - see up in the thread

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    EPs and other singles are coming out on a 2 CD package - see up in the thread
    Eh....

The only two metions of releases have been the new Compliation CD and the Lazy Line Painter Jane box set, which Tyriall both mention.

So....wtf are you talking about?

Eh....

The only two metions of releases have been the new Compliation CD and the Lazy Line Painter Jane box set, which Tyriall both mention.

So....wtf are you talking about?

sorry...crossed wires

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

Tyrrial wrote:
    the ep's are amazing
    ah.. here is is:

Enjoy

I saw this box set in Tower Records last week at a pretty reasonable price. I was going to buy it but i'm a poor student and I'd already just bought two Tim Buckley albums that were on sale, so I couldn't allow myself another luxury :(

Hester wrote:
    I saw this box set in Tower Records last week at a pretty reasonable price. I was going to buy it but i'm a poor student and I'd already just bought two Tim Buckley albums that were on sale, so I couldn't allow myself another luxury :(

cool. i haven't seen the box set around for years. but it's good it's nice and handy for thoughs of you who would like to make a purchase of some damn good music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

Tyrrial wrote:
    the ep's are amazing
    ah.. here is is:

Enjoy

ya might wanna look at the tracklisting you posted for the new compilation, all the songs from the eps are on it (with the possible exception of 'songs for children' -the secret track from 3..6..9 seconds of light).
    there's no new songs on the compilation, its just the eps, a few singles and b-sides

yeah but its' always nice to own all the ep's anyway

Advertisement